By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 5: Guardians sells more than $400 million (games and hardware)

Tagged games:

BraLoD said:
Reading the thread, seems like the spin was very effective, people just jumping to pure defensiveness and trying to mock people who actually think on what they are reading into... PR doing the job as usual.

And as Cloudman said (even though the spins makes the focus wither away) it deserves praiise by being a very succesful launch. Was MS honest with the sales and not afraid to hide behind spins, it would probably be getting more honest praise, even if the numbers were lower than last main titles.

This. 

All hail BraLoD! 

Around the Network
Snoopy said:

Lol, you seem upset. Is halo 5 succedding making you upset. No matter what it is a huge first party game and very active.

Halo 5 did flopped big now after these PR.

Even more than we expected.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Spin or not, it almost seems like people take joy in seeing Halo possibly fail to live up to expectations. Can't M$ have one single victory or is that too much?

d21lewis said:
Spin or not, it almost seems like people take joy in seeing Halo possibly fail to live up to expectations. Can't M$ have one single victory or is that too much?

Nope, seems like Sony fans are mad as usual. This game will do very well in sales and sony/nintendo fans will cry and bitch about it again

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Snoopy said:

Nope, seems like Sony fans are mad as usual. This game will do very well in sales and sony/nintendo fans will cry and bitch about it again

Sony fans are roflmfao

It is brilant and amazing read.

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
Cloudman said:
Is it so hard to just say "Congrats" these days? ; )

Was wondering this myself.

Congrats to MS! Sounds like a successful launch to me.

Well part of the problem is the thread title is misleading because its software+hardware and we've already got several posts in here who think this is all software because they didn't read the statement. Title should be changed to reflect this.

Your asking people to ignore that the PR was dilibratly misleading along with the thread title and instead praise Microsoft for acheiving a record that this vey thread is misleading people on what the record is. On top of which it seems to indicate that Halo didnt perform upto expectations but lets praise that it may have or may not have... Record! Uh... OK. Good job MS.

d21lewis said:

This post is surely aimed at me amongst others (I promise I will post less in a few minutes, work day almost over ^^). 

I'm not making fun of Halo 5 at all. It's a great game for Xbox owners, it surely sold well, and I obviously expected it to. Nothing to laugh about at all. Congrats on that. 

But I can't stop laughing about that PR spin. On GAF, a user posted earlier today an amazing fake Halo PR, and it turns out the real PR is even worse in term of spin XD. I also find it funny (but expected, that's the point of PR) to see people trusting the title only without trying to understand the wording.

This whole subject is amazing to read, especially when you're a fan of PR and communication (and politics ;)  ) 

The game is selling fine and it reviewed fine, but for the love of god Microsoft stop...just tell us how it sold. You could easily get rid of a majority of the hate by just being upfront with people.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Ohhhh I just realized they add micro transactions together too.

Faelco said:
Cloudman said:
Is it so hard to just say "Congrats" these days? ; )

So much to say about it, a simple "Congrats" would be a waste! ^^

Like, "biggest Halo launch", but with software AND hardware, so they're counting the game, the $500 console, the controllers, the headset, the microtransactions... Can't tell anything from that number. The Xbox 360 wasn't at $500 for the previous Halo games, right? Did it have Halo 5 controllers and headsets? Did it have microtransactions? And they didn't say "best selling Halo at launch", so we can search for maximum numbers by searching previous first week numbers (it sold less than the best selling one first week).  

"Highest week one attach rate for a FIRST PARTY title", so the attach rate is better for at least another third party game. Surely Titanfall attach rate > Halo 5 attach rate. And if they have attach rate, they have sales numbers. Why not releasing these numbers? 

"Fastest selling Xbox One exclusive". Same thing, beaten by a non One exclusive. Titanfall again? Destiny? 

"Most played game on Xbox One and Xbox Live". When? Last week? You sure? How weird for people to play Halo more than other games on the Halo release week ^^. 

And then hours and streams numbers, good looking numbers but pretty useless at the end of the day. 

The best stat is "Best selling digital game on the Xbox Store for first week". Congrats for that! 

The rest is just an usual PR spin with a lot of auto-congratulations based on mainly irrelevant stats and numbers. And again, the most important and easiest to understand numbers are nowhere to be found, even if they have it. Waiting for real numbers for congratulations, if we have these numbers one day. 

Thank you for this post.

PR speak can make anything seem like up is down and vice versa.

Still... halo 5 made bank.

Lots of people buy the 500 LE bundle console, and unique controllers, then spend like 300$ on DLCs for halo.