By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft stops disclosing Xbox shipment numbers.

I thought this granted its own thread.

So now that Microsoft has stopped disclosing Xbox shipment numbers, we have lost the most reliable source of information for sales numbers. Yes, they used to report "Xbox family" numbers and yes, shipments = / = sales. But shipments were still the best thing we had to try and guess WW sales numbers. And let's be honest, VGC won't even be close to real numbers without some solid data (not that they care much about the numbers these days).

So I guess we'll have to pray that we always get NPD numbers leaked, and apply a rough ration (US = 60% of sales?).

What are your thoughts on this move? The reasons behind it, what it means to us or VGC, etc.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

The reason is simple,obviously the sales of the Xbox are not that high.What else could be the reason? Especially after how much MS boasted about console sales last generation.

And so, the 9th gen became a two horse race.

Not unexpected, Microsoft has been merging Xbox back into Windows 10 since before Windows 10 was a thing. Better for them to revert to a pseudoconsole that fits more with their original XBO vision anyway, honestly; a dedicated gaming platform was never Microsoft's market to take, hence why they're pulling money in through buying huge IP like Minecraft and widely-used, almost standard codebases such as Havok. It's an easier way to transition into a more casual market. Wouldn't even doubt they try and hit the Steam market with how they're leaning right now, but that's a discussion for another day.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

It's really not that difficult to figure out a ballpark number for XBox One shipments. The fq report mentions an increase of Live users from 37M to 39M. There certainly is some shuffling around with old/new users but if we assume >=90% is due to new XBox One's, and allow for some preparatory shipments for the busy next quarter, we get a shipping number around 2-2.2M. Or simply take the next PS4 shipment numbers, once they're out, and shave off 40-50%.

I suspected that they wouldn't try to push shipments like they did last year when they announced a $500 bundle with their flagship franchise.Right i think MS will try to do what nintendo is doing with WiiU,maximize the profit until the next cycle(whatever the next cycle wiil be).

Around the Network
DivinePaladin said:
 a dedicated gaming platform was never Microsoft's market to take

Are are aware that they had the number one selling console in the US last generation, right? lol

Will count x1 Sales as 0 for console Wars reasons.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Wow lol. So its safe to say its not doing very well at all. This right here means not only is Micro not happy but they also have no reason to ride out this Gen. Micro is not gonna sit happily in distant 2nd place, they will certainly try to pull a 360 and release before Sony next Gen.

Sucks for everyone that enjoys analyzing sales, I miss the console race last gen, was so interesting to see all 3 do well. We've had a pretty clear winner from the get-go this gen.

Now that the PS4 entered beast mode they've been scared. I mean Nintendo still does it for crying out loud.

iceland said:
Sucks for everyone that enjoys analyzing sales, I miss the console race last gen, was so interesting to see all 3 do well. We've had a pretty clear winner from the get-go this gen.

Now that the PS4 entered beast mode they've been scared. I mean Nintendo still does it for crying out loud.

Nintendo even reported negative shipments one quarter!

But that's only because Nintendo is nothing but a game company. Microsoft shareholders really don't care about XBOX details so removing them is fine.