By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rock Band 4 has $3,926 worth of DLC (Added Poll)

Do you agree with this kind of DLC?

No, its a rip-off. 103 52.82%

Yes, i dont see anything wrong. 44 22.56%

Maybe, for lower priced songs. 20 10.26%

DLC is the Devil!!! 28 14.36%

Total:195
Samus Aran said:
MikeRox said:

So much wrong with this post I just don't know where to begin...

It is the very definition of a rhythm game. And its only coming out on PS4 and XB1 because if you have other consoles you can already play rock band.

If you already own the content from the same eco system you already have any previously purchased dlc and you can use existing instruments.

As for the ignorance about not needing music etc. To state this misses the entire point of the game. Some people really enjoy music and also enjoy participating. This is essentially karaoke for rock music fans. Though on some of the pro modes it was actually exactly what the real versions entailed. If that doesn't appeal to you great. But to deride it like that is no more ignorant than calling Nintendo games kiddy.

I'm not dextrous enough to play a real guitar, however rock band allows me to enjoy the feeling and also provides enough challenge to still give me something to learn.

Newsflash, you don't need audio on any rhythm game if its using on screen prompts, but to remove the audio would completely defeat the purpose in the first place.

A game that doesn't require the audio to beat the game isn't a rythym game. Using screen prompts is the very definition of QTE.

You  can easily make a platformer based on rythmic platforming with the music providing you hints on when and where to jump. Those are an example of rythmic games (see Rayman Legends or some levels in Mario games). As it stands right now, there are barely any real rythmic games in the game industry because of a severe lack of creativity and originality.

At least with karaoke you're ACTUALLY singing.

You know you can play Rock Band as pure Karaoke if you want to right?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
It's kind of sad when an Activision product seems to be more consumer friendly 

rockband 4 - fully BC with instruments and dlc.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rock-band-4-backwards-compatibility-fully-confirmed/

guitar hero live - no BC

http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/14/new-guitar-hero-costs-99-isnt-backwards-compatible/

lovely!,.. i love feinted indignation!!

GH using old songs would be weird as the gameplay has changed so much. Also, your use of indignation is hilarious. Put the thesaurus down and stop being so dramatic, please.

TruckOSaurus said:
Samus Aran said:
MikeRox said:

So much wrong with this post I just don't know where to begin...

It is the very definition of a rhythm game. And its only coming out on PS4 and XB1 because if you have other consoles you can already play rock band.

If you already own the content from the same eco system you already have any previously purchased dlc and you can use existing instruments.

As for the ignorance about not needing music etc. To state this misses the entire point of the game. Some people really enjoy music and also enjoy participating. This is essentially karaoke for rock music fans. Though on some of the pro modes it was actually exactly what the real versions entailed. If that doesn't appeal to you great. But to deride it like that is no more ignorant than calling Nintendo games kiddy.

I'm not dextrous enough to play a real guitar, however rock band allows me to enjoy the feeling and also provides enough challenge to still give me something to learn.

Newsflash, you don't need audio on any rhythm game if its using on screen prompts, but to remove the audio would completely defeat the purpose in the first place.

A game that doesn't require the audio to beat the game isn't a rythym game. Using screen prompts is the very definition of QTE.

You  can easily make a platformer based on rythmic platforming with the music providing you hints on when and where to jump. Those are an example of rythmic games (see Rayman Legends or some levels in Mario games). As it stands right now, there are barely any real rythmic games in the game industry because of a severe lack of creativity and originality.

At least with karaoke you're ACTUALLY singing.

But why would you pay $60 for karaoke?

Samus Aran said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Most Karaoke machines are $60 or more. Personally, I wouldn't buy one but I happen to find pretending to play a song on guitar or the drums to be really fun as well so to me Rock Band offers much more than any karaoke machine could.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Samus Aran said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Most Karaoke machines are $60 or more. Personally, I wouldn't buy one but I happen to find pretending to play a song on guitar or the drums to be really fun as well so to me Rock Band offers much more than any karaoke machine could.

I just play acoustic versions of songs with the lyrics on screen for free lol.

Also karaoke machines probably have a much more diverse library than 65 songs.

My Wii U has a karaoke thing on it, not sure what that's about tbh.

I don't know anyone here who's into karaoke... I heard it's pretty big in Japan though.

Around the Network
TheWPCTraveler said:
...I'm speechless.

I'm not even angry at this, just stupefied. Surely, they took a look at this and thought, "This is too far, right?"

Traveler-San, you could also say Matt Draimon is also "stupified."

Getting back on topic, truly humiliating for Harmonix. However, at the same point in time, this is not just Harmonix that is doing this. The entire industry is at fault to some degree. I fear that, with games like Rock Band and its success, companies like Activision will go even more overboard with its already unecessary micro-transaction processes.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

OnlyForDisplay said:
TheWPCTraveler said:
...I'm speechless.

I'm not even angry at this, just stupefied. Surely, they took a look at this and thought, "This is too far, right?"

Traveler-San, you could also say Matt Draimon is also "stupified."

Getting back on topic, truly humiliating for Harmonix. However, at the same point in time, this is not just Harmonix that is doing this. The entire industry is at fault to some degree. I fear that, with games like Rock Band and its success, companies like Activision will go even more overboard with its already unecessary micro-transaction processes.

I really don't get why this is "humiliating" for Harmonix. They've been providing DLC content since the release of the original Rock Band and through the year the library of available DLC songs has grown to over 1,700 songs. So now, for the release of their new game they're just saying "You know the huge library of songs we used to have for the previous gen? Well, it's going to be available to you still!".

Where does the outrage comes from? Too much choice? 

Signature goes here!

Samus Aran said:
MikeRox said:

As for elitist, that's exactly what you're trying to be towards the genre calling them glorified QTEs. Guess what, real musicians do that too.

Guess what, they produce actual music. You actually need a sense of rythym to make good music.

Guess what, you're talking to a real musician. In fact most of the friends I play in bands with enjoy games like Rock Band. You actually need a sense of rhythm to play games like Rock Band too on the higher difficulties, as you would need to play the songs in real life.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Samus Aran said:

I don't know anyone here who's into karaoke... I heard it's pretty big in Japan though.

Rock Band has a measured pitch (something karaoke machines don't have) so you actually have to sing in tune to chain combos if doing vocals.

Karaoke Machines use discs which you have to purchase (if you are going to legitimately expand your song collection) you get about 10-15 songs on a disc for.

Karaoke is pretty big in most of the world. Though unless you're going to the bars that are doing it you won't come across it.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Samus Aran said:

Rock Band has a measured pitch (something karaoke machines don't have) so you actually have to sing in tune to chain combos if doing vocals.

Karaoke Machines use discs which you have to purchase (if you are going to legitimately expand your song collection) you get about 10-15 songs on a disc for.

Karaoke is pretty big in most of the world. Though unless you're going to the bars that are doing it you won't come across it.

This is what most people look and sound like when playing Rockband. I have some friends who love it and I've sat there enough times to know what the games are like. I tried Rockband 4 once at a friend last week and threw the controller away the second I realized I'm left handed and game developers don't give a shit about me.

For me video games are about doing things that aren't possible in real life. Everyone can learn to play music.