By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What Makes Being Poor in The United States Suck?

Farsala said:
sc94597 said:
Farsala said:
My mom did not receive any of that and I guarantee we made less money then you did.
Single parent with 2 kids, works a 5-3 job, has $0 in savings can't afford to help me out.
Me and my brother also go to university but it was not a life of luxury at all. Because of hardships through life we learned that only through our own hard work could we make it without starving. We did get free lunch at High school but its like 300 calories out of 3000 for me.

That doesn't seem to add up. Five-three job  => full time, if not more. 40 hours *7.25 (minimum wage) *52 weeks/year = $15,080 per year (that is about 40% more than my mother would make, she is a waitress who averaged a little less than minimum wage even after tips and worked less than full time on average ~ 30 hours/week.) I am sure your mother qualified, especially if you got free lunch that implies you qualify for food stamps as well. You would also qualify for medicaid/chip in Pennsylvania with that income. So...

Right that is in the present. Obviously when she was 15 she could not get a job like that. Worked at Mcdonalds for $4 minimum wage I think it was or $5.25.

Many times and many years she had no job though. She basically took money from our grand parents and made them as poor as us.

I got free lunch but I have not seen a food stamp in 13 years.

Had no insurance when i broke my leg in 8th grade, my grandpa found some to pay for it though.

We are talking about the present not when the minimum wage was $5.25. I mentioned my mother's income in 2012 (when I last lived with her), not 1999, for example.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Farsala said:
sc94597 said:
Farsala said:
My mom did not receive any of that and I guarantee we made less money then you did.
Single parent with 2 kids, works a 5-3 job, has $0 in savings can't afford to help me out.
Me and my brother also go to university but it was not a life of luxury at all. Because of hardships through life we learned that only through our own hard work could we make it without starving. We did get free lunch at High school but its like 300 calories out of 3000 for me.

That doesn't seem to add up. Five-three job  => full time, if not more. 40 hours *7.25 (minimum wage) *52 weeks/year = $15,080 per year (that is about 40% more than my mother would make, she is a waitress who averaged a little less than minimum wage even after tips and worked less than full time on average ~ 30 hours/week.) I am sure your mother qualified, especially if you got free lunch that implies you qualify for food stamps as well. You would also qualify for medicaid/chip in Pennsylvania with that income. So...

Right that is in the present. Obviously when she was 15 she could not get a job like that. Worked at Mcdonalds for $4 minimum wage I think it was or $5.25.

Many times and many years she had no job though. She basically took money from our grand parents and made them as poor as us.

Had no insurance when i broke my leg in 8th grade, my grandpa found some to pay for it though.

We are talking about the present not when the minimum wage was $5.25. I mentioned my mother's income in 2012 (when I last lived with her), not 1999, for example.

You talk of 1993-2012, same as me. I have been an adult for 5 years, and my brother for 8 years. So my mothers income in 2012 has very little impact on anyones lives but herself.

You talked of high school and growing up as I have.

Farsala said:
sc94597 said:
Farsala said:
sc94597 said:
Farsala said:

You talk of 1993-2012, same as me. I have been an adult for 5 years, and my brother for 8 years. So my mothers income in 2012 has very little impact on anyones lives but herself.

You said something along the lines of " I guarantee my mother made less than yours." In 2012 the minimum wage was 7.25, a five to three job implies greater than full time at minimum wage which contradicts your first statement. Then you mentioned the minimum wage in 1999.

sc94597 said:
Farsala said:

You said something along the lines of " I guarantee my mother made less than yours." In 2012 the minimum wage was 7.25, a five to three job implies greater than full time at minimum wage which contradicts your first statement. Then you mentioned the minimum wage in 1999.

.I was talking of 1993-2012. I guarantee she made less money, and has had less benefits during that time.

Then i made an unnecessary tangent to October 2015. Sorry for the confusion.

Farsala said:
sc94597 said:
Farsala said:

.I was talking of 1993-2012. I guarantee she made less money, and has had less benefits during that time.

How can you guarantee that when my mother was working the same minimum wage in all those years and fewer hours if the last years estimate you gave me is correct. Like I said my mother is and always had been in the bottom 10% income wise.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Farsala said:
sc94597 said:
Farsala said:

How can you guarantee that when my mother was working the same minimum wage in all those years and fewer hours if the last years estimate you gave me is correct. Like I said my mother is and always had been in the bottom 10% income wise.

Last years are the first time she kept the same job for more then one year. Often she had no job, and siphoned money from other relatives. I think we would have been bottom 1% for many years. She probably got fired from the same McDonald's  3 or 4 times and she never took on a full time job.

Some years we have been evicted and had to live with uncles, grandparents, great grandparents.