By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What is the next videogame ip that Microsoft will acquire?

fatslob-:O said:
Ali_16x said:

As protendo said, that number means nothing. These days number of units mean nothing because of PC sales.
And I think that 10 million was for people played, not units sold.

It still sold above 4.5 million copies according to this site's data and even more if we count digital sales for PC ...

Again I can't see why the IP couldn't live on Microsoft's platform alone as Protendo pointed out that my argument would still hold true ...

Because you have to subtract the 360 sales, more or less, for TF2 because TF2 either won't go to 360 or it won't seel much on 360, and you can add 3+ million for PS4, and what 3rd party will turn down 3 million in game sales?  And because EA almost always goes multiplatform with games. Titanfall was an exception because they thought Xb one was going to win the generation (or at least sell on par with PS4) and they thought MS was going to kill off used games. So they penned a one game exclusive deal based on a ew assumptions that turned out to be wrong.

Basically if EA publishes TF2 it will be on PS4. If MS buys Respawn and pays out EA for it's publishing contract with Respawn then there will be no PS4 version.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I agree with others who have said their best bet would be to build new/expand existing first parties to either create new IP or develop IP Microsoft already owns (BANJO/CONKER).

Realistically, I think its more likely they'll keep buying other's IP.

I do not think Titanfall is a great bet, because Microsoft already has the lock on good shooters. Silent Hill could fill a horror niche I guess.

Really, I think the focus would need to be on WRPG's, JRPG's or platformers. From a first party perspective, both Sony and MS are underserved by platformers - Sea of Thieves might change this.

The problem with WRPG's is whether there is room for great first party offerings. Fable will try, but seems to be moving away traditional RPG's. Horizon might finally represent an entry into this space for Sony, depending on whether GG can make a better RPG than they can a shooter. But third parties just have such great, high quality offerings. The Witcher, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls and Borderlands pretty much fills up the WRPG roster.

JRPG's Sony has a clear advantage, so Microsoft could benefit from reviving old IP (especially Lost Odyssey) or funding new initiatives. But even then, the importance of this genre has just shrunk so much in light of Japan's greatly reduced home console purchases. What's left is pretty well covered off by FF, KH and Tales.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS