By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Developers React to HoloLens Dev Kit Price & Date

I'm really pathetic and have no friends. Please excuse the trolling message that used to be here, I don't know any better.

Around the Network

I'm really pathetic and have no friends. Please excuse the trolling message that used to be here, I don't know any better.

Around the Network

I actually think that MSoft is being smart with the price of the HoloLens dev kit.

They know that the current iteration of the device with its low Field Of View is not good enough to use for games, but it is for enterprise and educational purposes. Those are the users and developers they are going after.

In a few years, once they are able to increase the FOV without making it too expensive, Microsoft will include gaming as one of the selling points of HoloLens and will push games development to the delight of some of those devs.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

If they were going for that price, and for educational purposes. What was the point of even announcing it as a press conference, for mainly games. This borderlines on trolling. By the time this thing is perfected, and cheap enough. This generation is gonna be over. The hell was the point in showing off Minecraft. Isn't this so far a repeat on how the Power Glove went down the drain too. It's just as bad as if Sony showed off the final design sketch for the PS5. And then on the bottom "Coming 2019".

Normchachoo said:

Oh My God! This is the best! This shows I'm doing something right.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

the-pi-guy said:

The devkit is actually super cheap. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-slashes-ps3-development-kit-cost/1100-6183089/

The PS3 devkit cost about 20,000$ when it came out. 

Still about 2000$, 3 years later. 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90414-Sony-Cuts-Price-of-PS3-Dev-Kit-by-80-Percent

It sounds like $10k is typical for a 360 devkit too.  

From what I hear prices like these are very typical. 

The context here is very different though. There is a huge difference in the amount of risk involved when developing for the next Playstation or Xbox compared to developing for a tech that is still a rather large unknown.

The big factor will be whether MS sees fit to give them out for free. The PS4 dev kit was roughly $2500 but Sony gave tons of them out to smaller devs for free.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

So, how is 3k for a devkit too much?
I bet they wrote this news on a 2.5k MacBook pro.

I mean that is about 2 weeks / half a month of salary for the developer who is actually working on it.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...