By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final announced for 3DS (Feb 10, 2016 / brand new game) [Update: High Quality Scans]

Id rather have a Digital Devil Saga 3, but I think thatll never happen, so more SMT games work as well, I love everything SMT.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
spemanig said:
Hiku said:

It's not a game I would recommend, but it seems there are a lot of mixed reactions to it. Seems to be a love it or hate it kind of thing.
So if you're interested, I would look into more detailed reviews and videos than asking people if it's worth getting.

That said, I'm now more hopeful about this new game being better than the previous one.

I mean, you know how critical I am of that game, but even I would recommend it without question. It's frustrating how it falls apart in many reguards, but a the very least, its compelling from start to finish (unless you lock into the N-route for a bit) and the moment to moment gameplay is super fun.

I'm more hopeful of Final too, but I think IV is one of those games that you can't help but love, in spite of it's flaws. I think the game is like a C+, but I still absolutely adore it, if only because of how close it was to being an A+ game.

Well, I don't know if I'm aware of just how critical you are of the game. I think the only post of yours I've read about that was one you wrote in the other SMT Final topic. But judging by that one, we seem to have very similar feelings on the game. Enjoying the story and characters (in the beginning). And also how you attribute the law vs chaos system to why you didn't like the characters later. I feel that is a big reason for me as well. For example, I feel like they accepted their allignments along with their extreme methods too easily, without the hesitation and questioning that I came to expect from them. And much of their character became very one tracked and focused on that somewhere around halfway through the game, and there wasn't really anything like the scene of bonding on the castle rooftop again. Where we differ in that post was that you said you loved the game, and the atmosphere. And the atmosphere was one of the biggest things I loved about Shin megami Tensei 3, so that I was disappointed in it in SMT4 is also a big reason for why I can't say that I ended up liking the game.
But yes, I did go with the Neutral rout, and the forced side questing was tedious. But that wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, so it doesn't play into why I didn't like the game. Nor does my early frustration on the enemy back attack mechanics for that matter.

My feelings about SMT4 probably have to do with playing SMT3 first, and comparing it to that game. As you've mentioned before, SMT4 does have a lot more story than SMT3. And yet I ended up more disappointed in the SMT4 story anyway.
The complex plot with rather simple story telling is something I ended up liking in SMT3, and came to expect from the mainline SMT series. It felt a bit unique in an interesting way. But SMT4 did not start out that way. To my surprise, it was the opposite. And I liked that. But perhaps that's why I became all the more disapponted when it seemed to revert back to what I originally came to expect. But also because the things the story chose to focus on, and ignore.
The way the game started made me feel more disappointed when interesting characters like Akira weren't explored enough. And I feel the whole different worlds thing had a lot more potential. When Jonathan told Akira, "That would make you Lord Akira of the Western Kingdom of Mikado... Huh? What's going on?", realizing that it sounds awfully similar to "King Akila Kila of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado", it made me think that it would be cool if they had actually gone back in time, and were part of the creation of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado that they come from. But that idea aside, I thought there was a lot more potential in that part of the storyline in general. The fact that someone else had done what they did several times before, and the ghost images of Walter and Jonathan reminding you of that in the beginning of the game, it felt like the story dropped the ball on this potentially very interesting part of the story by barely mentioning it. The Goddess of Tokyo felt pretty random. But there's actually more to that story in another SMT game. Same for Steven.
I also had issues with the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado role in the game, but it would take a long time to go over all those things. Maybe I'll make a topic about it some time.

I wouldn't call SMTIV a bad game. It did a lot of things well also. But by the end of the game, I disliked it more than I liked it. And the reason I wouldn't recommend it is because I feel like there are many other games in the genre that I'd recommend before it. Or games in general.
But it did raise a question that I'm very curious about. Would I have liked SMT III as much as I did if I played it today?  Do I not like the mainline SMT series any more? Or was it just SMT IV? It's hard to find the answer to that. But perhaps if I play SMT IV Final, I can get a better indication of that.

How exactly did the atmosphere disappoint you in comparison to Nocturne? I can obviously only get a small understanding of its atmosphere from the footage I've seen, but outside of the superior visual design of SMT3, I'm curious as to what you found so disagreeable about the one found in IV, as I thought it was the game's saving grace. It's probably, above everything else, the single thing about the game that made me "get" why people are into the franchise, and why I'd consider myself a fan of it now. From the absolutely outstanding soundtrack, the great localization, the well directed voice acting, the premise, and the setting, I thought it was all done remarkably to set a very effective tone that permeated through the game until the very end. The personalities and dynamics between humans and demons, the level design, the way the game built it's tone and world through the imagery of a ruined Tokyo, the often cynical but equally as often hopeful remarks of its citizens, and the subtle nods up in Mikado to the world below was, in my opinion, expertly done.

I think that's why I was so disappointed by how the story eventually played out. So much that surrounded it remained consistantly good, so it was all the more frustrating that they dropped the ball so hard. Walter and Jonathan ended up being casualties to the Law vs. Chaos mechanic, but characters uneffected by this mechanic, AKA everyone else, was at worse likable and interesting and at best engaging to the end. Skins, Issachar, Nozomi, Kiyoharu, Tayama and the Asura-kai, The Black Samurai Yuriko, Kaga and the Ring of Gaia were all great and well written to the end. I'm not sure what you feel was unresolved about Akira. I felt that he was one of the most fleshed out characters in the game.

I had an issue with Mikado's poor execution in the game too, since after the reveal there was pretty much no reason to go back there, and jumping back and forth would have been cool, on top of actually being able to physically explore it.

I truely feel like most of the issues that I had with the game were directly influenced by Walter's and Jonathan's role in the game and their influence on the way the story was structured and concluded. Even from the box art, it's clear how heavy handed this opproach is with Walter looking evil on the left black side and Jonathan looking holy on the right white side. Looking at the art for IVf, that doesn't seem to be the case at all with this one, with all of the characters mixed in together in a much less segregated way. Literally just eliminating the idea of a law or chaos protagonist at all would make the game so much better already. 

Hiku said:
spemanig said:
Hiku said:

It's not a game I would recommend, but it seems there are a lot of mixed reactions to it. Seems to be a love it or hate it kind of thing.
So if you're interested, I would look into more detailed reviews and videos than asking people if it's worth getting.

That said, I'm now more hopeful about this new game being better than the previous one.

I mean, you know how critical I am of that game, but even I would recommend it without question. It's frustrating how it falls apart in many reguards, but a the very least, its compelling from start to finish (unless you lock into the N-route for a bit) and the moment to moment gameplay is super fun.

I'm more hopeful of Final too, but I think IV is one of those games that you can't help but love, in spite of it's flaws. I think the game is like a C+, but I still absolutely adore it, if only because of how close it was to being an A+ game.

Well, I don't know if I'm aware of just how critical you are of the game. I think the only post of yours I've read about that was one you wrote in the other SMT Final topic. But judging by that one, we seem to have very similar feelings on the game. Enjoying the story and characters (in the beginning). And also how you attribute the law vs chaos system to why you didn't like the characters later. I feel that is a big reason for me as well. For example, I feel like they accepted their allignments along with their extreme methods too easily, without the hesitation and questioning that I came to expect from them. And much of their character became very one tracked and focused on that somewhere around halfway through the game, and there wasn't really anything like the scene of bonding on the castle rooftop again. Where we differ in that post was that you said you loved the game, and the atmosphere. And the atmosphere was one of the biggest things I loved about Shin megami Tensei 3, so that I was disappointed in it in SMT4 is also a big reason for why I can't say that I ended up liking the game.
But yes, I did go with the Neutral route, and the forced side questing was tedious. But that wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, so it doesn't play into why I didn't like the game. Nor does my early frustration with the enemy back attack mechanics for that matter.

My feelings about SMT4 probably have to do with playing SMT3 first, and comparing it to that game. As you've mentioned before, SMT4 does have a lot more story than SMT3. And yet I ended up more disappointed in the SMT4 story anyway.
The complex plot with rather simple story telling is something I ended up liking in SMT3, and came to expect from the mainline SMT series. It felt a bit unique in an interesting way. But SMT4 did not start out that way. To my surprise, it was the opposite. And I liked that. But perhaps that's why I became all the more disapponted when it seemed to revert back to what I originally came to expect. But also because of the things the story chose to focus on, and ignore.
The way the game started made me feel more disappointed when interesting characters like Akira weren't explored enough. And I feel the whole different worlds thing had a lot more potential. When Jonathan told Akira, "That would make you Lord Akira of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado... Huh? What's going on?", realizing that it sounds awfully similar to "King Akila of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado", it made me think that it would be cool if they had actually gone back in time, and were part of the creation of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado that they come from. But that idea aside, I thought there was a lot more potential in that part of the storyline in general. The fact that someone else had done what they did several times before, and the ghost images of Walter and Jonathan reminding you of that in the beginning of the game, it felt like the story dropped the ball on this potentially very interesting part of the story by barely mentioning it. The Goddess of Tokyo felt pretty random. But there's actually more to that story in another SMT game. Same for Steven.
I also had issues with the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado's role in the game, but it would take a long time to go over all those things. Maybe I'll make a topic about it some time.

I wouldn't call SMTIV a bad game. It did a lot of things well also. But by the end of the game, I disliked it more than I liked it. And the reason I wouldn't recommend it is because I feel like there are many other games in the genre that I'd recommend before it. Or games in general.
But it did raise a question that I'm very curious about. Would I have liked SMT III as much as I did if I played it today?  Do I not like the mainline SMT series any more? Or was it just SMT IV? It's hard to find the answer to that. But perhaps if I play SMT IV Final, I can get a better indication of that.

~Edit~
Fixed some typos.

I played Nocturne for the first time in 2012, thought it was a masterpiece (10/10). Played SMT4 upon release in 2013 and loved it (9/10 for me). Replayed Nocturne this past summer and still love it (10/10). I really think the game is just that good. My only complaint is that the fusion is tedious compared to SMT4, but the music, aesthetics, world, music, gameplay, and everything else more than make up for it. 

This will forever be my favorite map theme:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8_JUQXCgxI

Hi

If this series didnt have such a boring looking battle system I would give it a shot. Main character looks cool though.

I'm really pathetic and have no friends. Please excuse the trolling message that used to be here, I don't know any better.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
If this series didnt have such a boring looking battle system I would give it a shot. Main character looks cool though.

It's the second best turn based battle system I've played. Don't let the presentation fool you. It's the best part of the game by far.

Hiku said:

Was about to post those scans.
Merkabah, Medusa and Lucifer look much better. He still has the "cancer arm", but still a big improvement.

Medusa is my favorite redesign so far.

Yeah, that's 100% Doi art.

I can't wait until this article is translated.

Oh jeez, is that Jehovah? God finally shows himself!

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Hiku said:
Maraccuda said:
Oh jeez, is that Jehovah? God finally shows himself!

Where do you see Jehovah

That black alien looking guy with the gold suit and sun behind him. I thought the head looks like Jehova (dont quote me, but not well versed in SMT lore).

Hiku said:
Maraccuda said:

That black alien looking guy with the gold suit and sun behind him. I thought the head looks like Jehova (dont quote me, but not well versed in SMT lore).

Ah, that's Lucifer.

Really? That is the weirdest interpretation i have ever seen. No wings or nothing.