By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Steelers sign kicker Chris Boswell, cut Josh Scobee

After a disastrous performance in Thursday night's overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens, thePittsburgh Steelers made a move at kicker.

Every game, all season

The Steelers signed Chris Boswell, NFL Media's James Palmer reported, per a source.

To make room on the roster, the team announced they cut Josh Scobee.

Scobee missed two field goals in the final three minutes of the fourth quarter to set up the brutal loss. Coach Mike Tomlin clearly didn't trust his kicker on a pair of fourth-down plays in overtime leading to the defeat. Scobee made just six of 10 field goal tries and missed one extra point in four games in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers acquired Scobee and his $3.425 million salary from the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for a sixth-round pick in August.

Boswell, 24, spent training camp with the New York Giants. He was undrafted out of Rice and tried out for the Houston Texans in 2014 before being cut. Boswell, who has never attempted a kick in a regular-season game, boasts a strong leg and will now be relied on in one of the most difficult home fields for kickers in the NFL.

Boswell will be the fourth stab at kicker for Pittsburgh in 2015 after Shaun Suisham and Garrett Hartley both went on injured reserve.

The Steelers also tried out former Washington Redskins kicker Kai Forbath.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000548006/article/steelers-sign-kicker-chris-boswell-cut-josh-scobee

Around the Network

Steeler fans go pop a bottle.

I think everyone saw this coming.

Scobee totally lost that game but we've gotta go with the law of averages in OT and let him kick again. At least then there would be no doubt who to blame lol

Honestly though my biggest takeaway was that the Ravens are REALLY bad this year because the Steelers would have slaughtered them with a starting qb in and they had to be given about 10 tries to finally score at the end

I am Iron Man

It was also Mike Tomlin's fault for those overtime plays on 4th and short when you have Leveon Bell as your running back. Even with the missed kicks Steelers should have won.

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Scobee totally lost that game but we've gotta go with the law of averages in OT and let him kick again. At least then there would be no doubt who to blame lol

Honestly though my biggest takeaway was that the Ravens are REALLY bad this year because the Steelers would have slaughtered them with a starting qb in and they had to be given about 10 tries to finally score at the end

The Ravens do seem to be awful.

Lets not let the Steelers off the hook, either, though.  That defense is just bad.  They gave up 150 yards on the ground to a guy who managed 15 yards against Cinci and 68 against Oakland--the the pass defense might be even worse.

pokoko said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Lets not let the Steelers off the hook, either, though.  That defense is just bad.  They gave up 150 yards on the ground to a guy who managed 15 yards against Cinci and 68 against Oakland--the the pass defense might be even worse.

they have played well the last 3 games though.  Considering how many times they stopped the Ravens at the end of regulation and in OT I'm satisfied

I am Iron Man

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
pokoko said:

they have played well the last 3 games though.  Considering how many times they stopped the Ravens at the end of regulation and in OT I'm satisfied

Against the Niners, Rams, and Ravens.  Let's see how they do the next four games.  The have the Chargers, Cardinals, Chiefs, and Bengals.  

He's had one of the better kicking careers in the league, I was there in person when he had a 59 game winner... Maybe he's over the hill but I'd think you'd give him another game or two given his résumé.

Then again, steelers fans about lost their minds, so this may have been a good move for scobee's safety.