By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Yay! I quit smoking 1 year ago today!

Well, I quit smoking exactly one year ago today!  March 18th, 07'.

I smoked 2-2.5 packs a day for 8 years straight (except for one 3 month attempt to quit)--and lots of big cigars on the weekends.

I kept making excuses not to quit--I enjoy it too much, I will later on, it's my only way to relax, I just like it, it's easier to socialize, etc.,etc.  Lol, I'd almost have a breakdown just THINKING about the idea of quitting--it was scary as hell!  Smoking was WAY to important to me and "quitting was for losers!".  I use to tell people smoking was my life-line and my only means of sanity.

When I told my buddies I was going to quit, they just started laughing and said, "Not a chance in Hell!"

But I was going to Hawaii on vacation last year on March 18th, and just decided I was going to quit so I threw my last pack away at the airport, boarded my plane, and never looked back!  Lol, it was the longest, hardest, squirming, fidgeting, sweating plane flight I've ever had in my life--I just wanted to SCREAM!  The vacation was rather difficult for the first few days too.

Once I got back into town after vacation, it was really tough.  My brother smokes, my three best friends, and lots of my buddies at work too--But I stuck with it and after about 4 months or so, it started getting easier (mornings, evenings, after meals, and drinking were the hardest times).  I had to refuse to go to bars, etc. for awhile.  My ps3 helped make it possible too...I played games NON-STOP to occupy my freetime so I wouldn't feel as tempted to start smoking again.  (See, video games aren't always bad!)

I still want one every now and then, but know better because that's how people start back up (or at least me in the past---I quit 3 months once before)!  I had to go on a "zero-tolerance" program.  And I'm super glad!  I'm saving over $3,000 a year (more if I turn it into health insurance for a break), feel healthier, and don't smell like stale smoke anymore.  The biggest benefit is that I AM IN CONTROL NOW, instead of the cigerettes. 

Lol, no knock to any that smoke!  All my friends still do, and I understand smokers completely--so don't think I meant this as a negative!  I was just proud of myself, so thought I'd share.

Anyhow, I bought a big fat Cigar to celebrate tonight.....lol, just joking, I know better now.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

Bravo.

Smoking is a horrible habit.

Congratulations man! That's fantastic news :) Your one of the few my friend ^^

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

You saved enough by quitting to almost buy one $60 game per week. Congrats.

Congratulations! It's a tough habit to kick. Thank god I never got in to it. I know a number of family members who have quit. The first three months are the hardest according to them.

1 year deserves celebration.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network

Kudos to you for quitting.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Congratulations!

Here, you've earned one!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

omg congradz dood im still all addicted and crap :/

Congratulations! That is great news. I am glad that you are being healthier and saving money at the same time. You have a big slap on the back from me!

@ Stof

You're so not right...

lol.