By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer hopes VR isn't the future of gaming.

Tamron said:

The whole "its no different from a big display in front of you" argument is ignorance on a whole new level, or at the very least denial.
Since some of you seem to be really struggling with understanding the difference, here.

A fixed display is 2D, both eyes see the same image.

A 3D display is 3D, both eyes see a separate image with a fraction of delay as the display itself alternates between left eye and right eye, but the screen is a fixed point in space with a fixed size, the only user input is the controller, has limited manual focal control because of the fixed nature, thus often feels like paralax layering rather than true 3D.

A HMD places a different image in front of each eye at the SAME TIME, because of the proximity from the eye (at the natural minimum focal length) you are given a full focal range so the 3D gives you full range depth and the ability to *focus* on elements as you do in real life, this is combined with sensors both head mounted and external to track both your heads movement and the point in space where your head is, to control your view in terms of looking around the virtual world and adjusting your point in space relative to the location of your head, which greatly increases the immersion and provides a direct link between the full range focal depth and the players natural movement.

So seriously, when you say "it's no different from a big screen, its just right next to your eyes" what you are essentially saying is "I don't have a clue what I am talking about".

Thank you, this is a great explaination of what makes VR different from regular tvs or even 3d tvs. 

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Yeah i want vr to flop.

This is a weird sentiment...Why would you actively want something to fail? It's one thing to expect it to fail, but to want it to?  Have you tried it before?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

GribbleGrunger said:
kitler53 said:

oh man,. i'm in just such agreement.  VR is nothign more than a giant screen in front of you.  AR, on the other hand, can do really innovative things like making the whole wall your screen.

I know you're being sarcastic but that is actually the reason it's not a good idea to showcase VR games on the big screen at your conferences. I honestly think some people believe this is exactly what it is.

edit: Yep.

Dear God.

Shuhei addressed this aspect of the technology. You simply CANT know how the VR works if you dont try it for yourself, there is absolutely no way to show it on video. Thats why on this years E3 there wasnt anything on the conference about the Playstation VR. BUT, they had the showroom full of these things so people could try it.

Normchacho said:
jason1637 said:
Yeah i want vr to flop.

This is a weird sentiment...Why would you actively want something to fail? It's one thing to expect it to fail, but to want it to?  Have you tried it before?

not that it wasnt obvious but id wager he wants it to flop because its something playstation are doing.
and even if you give him the benefit of doubt, you still end up with "I want it to fail because i personally dont like it"

Reality is it will be an option and not a primary forced feature.

Tamron said:
Normchacho said:

not that it wasnt obvious but id wager he wants it to flop because its something playstation are doing.

I actually have to disagree here. Jason is usually pretty reasonable. I think he's actually planning to get a PS4 next year anyways.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

Around the Network
AEGRO said:

Shuhei addressed this aspect of the technology. You simply CANT know how the VR works if you dont try it for yourself, there is absolutely no way to show it on video. Thats why on this years E3 there wasnt anything on the conference about the Playstation VR. BUT, they had the showroom full of these things so people could try it.

I know exactly what it does and I know exactly why it cannot be demonstrated on the bug screen, but even taking those things into consideration, I STILL can't get my head around how it will actually feel to experience it. This is the biggest hurdle Sony face.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
AEGRO said:

I know exactly what it does and I know exactly why it cannot be demonstrated on the bug screen, but even taking those things into consideration, I STILL can't get my head around how it will actually feel to experience it. This is the biggest hurdle Sony face.

You could argue price is a larger hurdle, but I imagine the price people would be willing to pay for VR would change drastically depending on whether or now they've used it before.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

Normchacho said:
GribbleGrunger said:
AEGRO said:

You could argue price is a larger hurdle, but I imagine the price people would be willing to pay for VR would change drastically depending on whether or now they've used it before.

Whats your take about Andrew House saying that the PSVR will be priced as a "New Gaming Platform"? What would it be your ideal (realistic) price for this thing?

I also think that the price will be the deal breaker to the majority. The tech is proven to be legit, im not worried about that.

If this thing takes out since the beginning, we can expect tons of games from the get go, but if it flops, damn....

Soundwave said:
PenguinZ said:

You seem to hold a lot faith in some people's intelligence. I kind of wish I still had that naivety towards that thought.

If you believe holodeck technology is possible today (or even in the next 50 years) I have a million dollar warp drive engine to sell you too. And a pill that will let you live forever. 

Thanks for proving my point, I guess?

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Normchacho said:
GribbleGrunger said:
AEGRO said:

That's what I think.  The way they have been talking, it seems they are aiming at a $299 price.  At that price sales are going to be an extremely slow burn.  Personally, I think they should try to aim for making little to no profit, maybe they could pull off a price point of $149-$199, and make money off the SW.