By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579
Shadow1980 said:
If the NX comes out next year, then it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being the 3DS's replacement. I mean, the 3DS came out 21 months before the Wii U, so if anything's due for a replacement it's the 3DS. 2016 and even 2017 would seem to be an odd time to release a console seeing as if it were a console it'd be going up against the PS4 and XBO at their peaks. What could Nintendo possibly offer to consoles gamers besides core Nintendo fans that the PS4 and XBO don't already offer? Meanwhile, though the 3DS is no DS (though comparing anything to the DS is kind of unfair), Nintendo handhelds are still very much relevant in the gaming market.

NX will replace both. Like iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch are a family of products that share the same OS, same development API, same apps (software), and even similar hardware, that's pretty much where Nintendo is going. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

Link to investors pressuring Nintendo to release new hardware? 

I don't believe it ever happened.

Kinda hard to make your profit targets when you're shipping the lowest amounts of hardware in 25 years. Stockholders kinda notice little things like that. 

Like if you're heavily invested in McDonalds, and you see a report that they're selling the fewest number of hamburgers they have in a quarter century, some alarm bells may just start going off your mind. 

Besides what's the point of even showing the NX next year if they're not planning to launch it? Wii U and 3DS sales are already shitty (3.25 million-ish slated for Wii U, 7 million ish for 3DS, again the lowest Nintendo hardware shipment in 25+ years) for the coming fiscal year, what do you think is going to happen when Nintendo shows the superfantasticterrificaweomse NX at E3 next year? The few remaining people that might have bought either system are going to bail out and just wait for the NX. 

So holding off on the NX for another year just to hit some arbitrary "5 year mark" that a whiny minority of fans on the internet think is super important for some reason isn't going to go well. It will be a disaster. 

People are not stupid, they are going to see Nintendo has unveiled this new NX thing, they're not going to then go buy a Wii U or 3DS, so those sales that are already terrible for this fiscal year will be waaaaaaaaaaay worse next year. 

If it's shown in 2016 and they already have said it will be, then it's coming out in 2016. I would literally bet money on this too. 

Don't the people who watch E3 generally look a lot into consoles and would know what the specs are? Wouldn't you also say that those people would probably lose a lot of interest in a weak machine? Wouldn't an exclusive LoZ help get those people to purchase a Wii U? Don't a lot of people (especially ones who tune in to E3) already know the NX is coming?

You want to take a bad situation and make it a million times worse. Drop the Wii U price, show off LoZ, make some exclusive amiibo for it and Nintendo will be fine financially. 

No one but a whiny minority of fans on the internet thinks its a good idea to release another underpowered console and make the wii u lose its biggest exclusive.

bigtakilla said:

So, a lot of people here assumed that 2016 there would be no games coming to the Wii U, except LoZ, but that would be cross platform. However, there seems to be enough titles that I'm still convinced the NX will be a 2017 launch. Let's just look at the big titles we know are coming.

Pokken

LoZ Wii U

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

*Edit* Pikmin 4 

*EDIT EDIT* Looks like Star Fox can be thrown in the mix. Looks like it can be a pretty significant last hurrah for Nintendo before the NX 2017 launch.

Add one more bigger project (with the inclusion of Pikmin 4, we are pretty much at the bar for bigger titles) and count the smaller projects like Mario and Sonic at the 2016 Olympics (this is a thing right?) and it looks like any of the other years release schedule for the Wii U. That said, I hope we do get an announcement at E3 this year on what the NX is and what it looks like. So what do you think? 

I gauruntee at least half of these games will launch on the NX.   It is still coming out in 2016

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
bigtakilla said:

So, a lot of people here assumed that 2016 there would be no games coming to the Wii U, except LoZ, but that would be cross platform. However, there seems to be enough titles that I'm still convinced the NX will be a 2017 launch. Let's just look at the big titles we know are coming.

Pokken

LoZ Wii U

*Edit* Pikmin 4 

*EDIT EDIT* Looks like Star Fox can be thrown in the mix. Looks like it can be a pretty significant last hurrah for Nintendo before the NX 2017 launch.

Add one more bigger project (with the inclusion of Pikmin 4, we are pretty much at the bar for bigger titles) and count the smaller projects like Mario and Sonic at the 2016 Olympics (this is a thing right?) and it looks like any of the other years release schedule for the Wii U. That said, I hope we do get an announcement at E3 this year on what the NX is and what it looks like. So what do you think? 

I gauruntee at least half of these games will launch on the NX.   It is still coming out in 2016

Yeah, Loz and Pokken would be the likely suspects if it does come 2016.

zorg1000 said:
Magnus said:

If Nintendo didn't want to release Zelda U exclusively on Wii U they shouldn't have promised to support the console back in 2013, and should have killed it early on like the Virtual Boy. Without an exclusive Zelda, which every single other Nintendo console got, they are not doing the bare minimum that historically every other Nintendo console had. Particularly in 2015 the lineup is horrible. Splatoon, Mario Maker and Hyrule Warriors don't make up for it, they aren't AAA titles and even Virtual Boy got new IP, FFS.

Nintendo Land

New Super Mario Bros U

Lego City Undercover

Game & Wario

New super Luigi U

Pikmin 3

The Wonderful 101

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Wii Party U

Super Mario 3D World

Mario & Sonic Sochi Olympics

Wii Fit U

Dr. Luigi

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8

Pushmo World

Wii Sports Club

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2

Super Smash Bros

NES Remix Pack

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Mario Party 10

Splatoon

Art Academy: Home Studio

Super Mario Maker

Yoshi's Woolly World

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Devil's Third

Star Fox Zero

Mario & Sonic Rio Olympics

Pokken Tournament

The Legend of Zelda U

Ur right, Nintendo hasn't supported Wii U.

An exclusive Zelda is pretty much required for them to support a console, like Mario. The only other Nintendo console without an exclusive Zelda is the Virtual Boy... that should tell you Nintendo didn´t do the required support.

Around the Network

Where are the big titles? I only see Zelda on that list and a few low budget filler titles and Vita-eque Niche.

Have Nintendo confirmed Pikmin 4 for 2016 or Wii U?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

The thing about Zelda is that they haven't even talked about it for a suspiciously long amount of time. Then the thing about Pikmin 4 is that Miyamoto wouldn't say what platform it was on (and if it were coming to Wii U there would be absolutely no reason not to say so).

I didn't used to believe that the NX could be coming so soon, but there's some weird stuff going on surrounding these games.

MikeRox said:

Where are the big titles? I only see Zelda on that list and a few low budget filler titles and Vita-eque Niche.

Have Nintendo confirmed Pikmin 4 for 2016 or Wii U?

I don't see any that are low budget or filler. Niche you may have a point.

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

Kinda hard to make your profit targets when you're shipping the lowest amounts of hardware in 25 years. Stockholders kinda notice little things like that. 

Like if you're heavily invested in McDonalds, and you see a report that they're selling the fewest number of hamburgers they have in a quarter century, some alarm bells may just start going off your mind. 

Besides what's the point of even showing the NX next year if they're not planning to launch it? Wii U and 3DS sales are already shitty (3.25 million-ish slated for Wii U, 7 million ish for 3DS, again the lowest Nintendo hardware shipment in 25+ years) for the coming fiscal year, what do you think is going to happen when Nintendo shows the superfantasticterrificaweomse NX at E3 next year? The few remaining people that might have bought either system are going to bail out and just wait for the NX. 

So holding off on the NX for another year just to hit some arbitrary "5 year mark" that a whiny minority of fans on the internet think is super important for some reason isn't going to go well. It will be a disaster. 

People are not stupid, they are going to see Nintendo has unveiled this new NX thing, they're not going to then go buy a Wii U or 3DS, so those sales that are already terrible for this fiscal year will be waaaaaaaaaaay worse next year. 

If it's shown in 2016 and they already have said it will be, then it's coming out in 2016. I would literally bet money on this too. 

Don't the people who watch E3 generally look a lot into consoles and would know what the specs are? Wouldn't you also say that those people would probably lose a lot of interest in a weak machine? Wouldn't an exclusive LoZ help get those people to purchase a Wii U? Don't a lot of people (especially ones who tune in to E3) already know the NX is coming?

You want to take a bad situation and make it a million times worse. Drop the Wii U price, show off LoZ, make some exclusive amiibo for it and Nintendo will be fine financially. 

No one but a whiny minority of fans on the internet thinks its a good idea to release another underpowered console and make the wii u lose its biggest exclusive.

No. Zelda is not going to change the fact that Wii U is going to finish at a mediocre 15-17 million units and be the worst selling Nintendo console.

The only thing changing that is a new Wii U controller that gives people orgasms. Price cuts, Zelda, no. I know the denial of how bad a failure the Wii U is really runs deep among some people, but it's time to accept that that system is not bouncing back. It's over. Done. Finished. 

People will see NX announced/shown and that will cause whatever remaining Wii U sales (and 3DS if it's a unified platform) to crater. 

Magnus said:
zorg1000 said:
Magnus said:

If Nintendo didn't want to release Zelda U exclusively on Wii U they shouldn't have promised to support the console back in 2013, and should have killed it early on like the Virtual Boy. Without an exclusive Zelda, which every single other Nintendo console got, they are not doing the bare minimum that historically every other Nintendo console had. Particularly in 2015 the lineup is horrible. Splatoon, Mario Maker and Hyrule Warriors don't make up for it, they aren't AAA titles and even Virtual Boy got new IP, FFS.

Nintendo Land

New Super Mario Bros U

Lego City Undercover

Game & Wario

New super Luigi U

Pikmin 3

The Wonderful 101

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Wii Party U

Super Mario 3D World

Mario & Sonic Sochi Olympics

Wii Fit U

Dr. Luigi

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8

Pushmo World

Wii Sports Club

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2

Super Smash Bros

NES Remix Pack

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Mario Party 10

Splatoon

Art Academy: Home Studio

Super Mario Maker

Yoshi's Woolly World

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Devil's Third

Star Fox Zero

Mario & Sonic Rio Olympics

Pokken Tournament

The Legend of Zelda U

Ur right, Nintendo hasn't supported Wii U.

An exclusive Zelda is pretty much required for them to support a console, like Mario. The only other Nintendo console without an exclusive Zelda is the Virtual Boy... that should tell you Nintendo didn´t do the required support.

But it's still getting a Zelda so why does it matter that it also comes to another platform? Why is it OK for Sony/Microsoft/3rd parties to make several cross-generation titles but not Nintendo?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.