By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Rex Murphy: In Justin Trudeau's world, Christians need not apply

What do we do about the situation where christian values are becoming incompatible with modern politics?

Care: Invite their opinion more 14 41.18%

Not care: Shut them up. 20 58.82%

Total:34

I think it's fairly stupid of him to force all Liberals to vote for pro choice. To clarify, I am neutral on the abortion issue, but he will catch a lot of media flack for this move, and I expect 10 Conservative ads trashing this move within the week.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Good. If people can't put aside their religious thoughts and do their job properly they have no place going for the job in the first place. I don't say that just for politicians either, I say that for every job anyone could ever do.

It's not about religion in this instance however, it's about a politician's right to speak for themselves on an issue. Religion has nothing to do with the main issue here, if you ask me. They just chose to put that in the title to gain more attention.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

I don't want to vote for religious leaders so that sounds perfect. Not that I'm voting Liberal but it's a great move on their part. It's a clear stance and I want more of those from all parties.

I'm not sure what Christianity has to do with this. Is it wrong to coerce someone into into voting for something that goes against their religious convictions, but it's ok to force them to vote for it if they hold that belief for some other reason?

I'm against the party system (in the US... don't know what it's like in Canada) for this very reason, but I fail to see why religion is relevant here.

padib said:
ReimTime said:

It's not about religion in this instance however, it's about a politician's right to speak for themselves on an issue. Religion has nothing to do with the main issue here, if you ask me. They just chose to put that in the title to gain more attention.

Regardless, it's the same thing.

If we were talking about religion in the way Ka-Pi mentioned it, I suggest it would be more in a manner of: "Trudeau did this because religious preconceptions may blur a politicians ability to vote the "proper" way on an ethical issue such as abortion".

However there is no right or wrong way to vote on abortion, and people who aren't religious may not be pro choice either. The way I see it, the article spun it that way to gain the attention of more viewers, when the real issue here is Trudeau forcing his MPs to vote a certain way. Religion shouldn't have anything to do with it and religious suppression is definitely not what I am taking away from the article.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

No one is stopping them from splitting off and creating their own Christian political party. Canada does not have a 2 party system. If you can't morally agree with the party you're aligned with, then you're in the wrong party.

A quick check on Google also confirms my suspicion that being Christian doesn't mean you have to be anti abortion. http://www.beliefnet.com/News/2003/01/The-Biblical-Basis-Forbeing-Pro-Choice.aspx

Non religious people can be just as morally conflicted. My wife is not religious, firmly anti abortion, and still married to me, pro choice. I guess it's compatible, my belief is that it's her choice. Pro choice is not equal to pro abortion...

Ka-pi96 said:
ReimTime said:

eh, requiring all members of a party to vote a certain way is a pretty common practice. If they didn't do that then it would kind of call in to question the whole point of forming parties in the first place. If you don't like it you shouldn't have joined a party that has different views to you. Besides, if they really wanted they could still go against the party, they'd just better expect to be frozen out and lose their place as soon as the next election comes along.

In recent Canadian politics with an ethical issue such as this it isn't. Usually they would respect everyone's views, and allow every MP to have a mind of their own. This is news for us

#1 Amb-ass-ador

well well, a catholic that likes to decide what women are allowed to do...

So if you want to be a politician in a secular democracy and always vote according to your religious convictions become an independent with no party affiliations. Don't piss and moan when an ostensibly secular party establishes policies that conflict with your religious sensibilities. Either suck it up and vote the party line when policy has been established under due process of the party, or have the balls to quit and go independent.

Also, go look up the dictionary definition of "liberal" and realise that liberal and religious conservative don't mix well. Start a conservative party and ask the people to vote for your conservative ideology.

I am very strongly religious, but I'm not a whiney bitch about the fact that 99% of people don't hold the same values as me. If you don't like abortions, don't become an abortion doctor, and don;t invest in companies that run abortion clinics or that make medical equipment for carrying out abortions, or pharmaceutical companies that make the morning after pill. But don't tell other people that they must submit to your religious views when they form no part of their views, and in a country that runs as a secular democracy. Jesus taught you to love and fogive, he never taught you to impose your will on others. If you want religion to make the rules then go live in a theocratic country.

And finally, if you don't want to compromise DON'T EFFING GO INTO POLITICS!! And for public servants, if you don't like the laws that you have to administer then don't go into public service, or move to a different public service that has laws to administer that you do like. You live in a country that follows the rule of law principle. Learn what that means FFS and stop trying to assert that your religious beliefs usurp the rule of law in the act of carrying out the laws of your country that have been constitutionally validated!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

As to the question the poll. The answer is Nothing. because it doesn't matter. I have lots of religious views that are at odds with modern politics and modern western ideologies. Do I care? No not one bit. I am secure in my views and what other people do or think does not threaten me in the slightest. Christian's just need to get over themselves and recognise that they are no longer in charge of the world and are no longer the moral reference point for society outside of their own church.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix