By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided launches 23rd February 2016

Madword said:
mornelithe said:

Ok, so they've both adopted the dumbest preorder I've ever heard.   It's a shitty practice, and buying into it is a terrible thing for the industry.

Well I never said it was a good idea, but yes, even I am getting sick of it... and I buy lots of games. But then when you have fools who are prepared to buy the game second hand for $1 cheaper, I guess they have to do something.... even though I dont like it, I suspect gamers have to take some of the blame here.

Oh the blame is all on gamer's.  Here's the thing, companies know there's a ton of money in gaming, and as I said, I expect them to try to push the envelope, however, we have a responsibility to say 'No, fuck that.  And fuck you for trying to push it through.'  If we start making a meaningful impact in preorder sales, due to a wholesale rejection of this garbage, we might actually see the industry pull back from this.  But yeah, the blame is entirely on gamer's.

This goes back to an issue I have with the tribalism among gamer's (unsurprisingly, it's also an issue outside of gaming), Sony vs MS vs Nintendo and everyone vs PC.  If we could talk a little bit more and discuss how changes in the industry can adversley (or positively) effect the future, instead of what currently happens which is constant bickering, maybe if we could present a unified voice against practices that are harmful.

Remember, gaming represents the most profitable entertainment industry in the world.  If we shut down this avenue of revenue, it's not like they're going to stop making games.

Around the Network

This pre-order tier nonsense is disappoints me, but this only reinforces my stance on never pre-ordering games. Interesting to see this game up against Mirror's Edge: Catalyst on Feb 23rd. I know which one I'll be getting...

I don't have a problem with the pre-order bonus. It's just an advertising scheme to get people interested. It seems pretty nice, actually. Getting it four days early is a bit strange but ultimately no big deal.