By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Can the NY Yankees win the AL East this year?

I certainly hope so. 

I love the Yankees and I have been following them all year. They have done great, but unfortunately Toronto has been on fire since the AS break and took the division  yesterday. The last time they took the division, the Yankees took it back within a few days and held onto it for about a week, so this is going to be a hard fought battle. Was wondering what you guys thought about all this if any of you even care about baseball anyway.

Around the Network

Nope. They'll take the Wild Card, but I think the Blue Jays are going all the way this year, the 22 year playoff drought is going to come to an end.

There's no debate that they have the best offence in the MLB, with guys like Donaldson, Bautista, Encarnacion, etc. it's an offence only strengthened by additions like Tulo and Revere, who also have strong defence. And the previously meh pitching staff has greatly improved with additions like Lowe, Hawkins, and especially David Price. Combined with young playerslike Osuna and Sanchez stepping up, and Toronto has got basically everything they need to take the AL East and make playoffs.

And as a longtime Jays fan, I am loving what I see. They've got everything. You can make an All-Star team with that roster. 

The next two series' with the Yankees will be very interesting to watch though.

Greenbeans13 said:

Nope. They'll take the Wild Card, but I think the Blue Jays are going all the way this year, the 22 year playoff drought is going to come to an end.

There's no debate that they have the best offence in the MLB, with guys like Donaldson, Bautista, Encarnacion, etc. it's an offence only strengthened by additions like Tulo and Revere, who also have strong defence. And the previously meh pitching staff has greatly improved with additions like Lowe, Hawkins, and especially David Price. Combined with young playerslike Osuna and Sanchez stepping up, and Toronto has got basically everything they need to take the AL East and make playoffs.

And as a longtime Jays fan, I am loving what I see. They've got everything. You can make an All-Star team with that roster. 

The next two series' with the Yankees will be very interesting to watch though.

I wouldnt disagree that the Blue Jays have a great lineup.. I do feel that they are playing a tad over their potential this past month though. Bautista and Encarnacion don't have amazing averages. I know they are HR hitters, but the Yankees have a bunch of HR hitters as well with better averages than that. So it is hard for me to even put the Jays' lineup that far past even the Yankees. With the recent acquisition of Tulowitzky and Revere, i'd say the Jays have a more solid lineup than the Yankees, but to say it can compete with the best of MLB, I just don't see that. They are all playing very well right now. I would say they have maybe the hottest lineup in MLB at the moment, but not the best. 

Their pitching has been surprising me recently. We will see if they can continue to pitch the way that they have been. Even if they slide a little bit, this offense has a way of making up for it. The one thing I will say is that It is hard to ride a hot streak from now until the end of october. It is highly likely that they will come down to their true potential before then, but you never know. We'll see.

Well as a very casual Toronto fan, I hope the Yankees don't win.

I also want to add my take on the Yankees as well real quick. Ellsbury and Gardner are playing below their potential right now, so there is always a chance that they can come back in full form in time. A Rod is slowing down, but let us not forget what he is capable of. Teixeira has proven to be a force to be reckoned with and I would say is more of a valuable asset than either Encarnacion or Bautista easily. Hell, I would say Mccann is comparable to either of those guys hitting wise as well. Beltran has had an amazing year (if you take out April, he is a 300 hitter) and he has been getting hotter. Gregorious has been getting better every month, in terms of fielding and hitting. Headley is pretty solid as well. Our backup players are also pretty good. Honestly, I think the lineups are pretty comparable. Your top 4 beats our top 4, but our middle of the order I think beats yours and in the end I think it comes up pretty even. Id still give the edge to the Blue Jays in terms of lineup though.

Around the Network

I'm a Mets fan, so I don't really pay attention to the AL that much, but since we're probably short on baseball fans on this site I'll throw my two cents in.

I'd love to see Toronto take it, since I hate the Yankees, but I'm kind of skeptical for no real good reason other than "this is the first time they're in a tight race like this in a while."

...and that probably shows the extent of my knowledge where the AL is concerned.

Miguel_Zorro said:

I think the Jays are too good for the Yankees to take the division.The Jays have actually been playing below potential. If you look at their record in 1 run games, they have almost the worst record in the league at 12-24, while the Yankees are 20-20.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/standings/expanded

They took a bunch of near losses early in the season, but are playing to their potential now. If you look at their expected win-loss based on their play, it could be argued that they're the best team in baseball.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/expWinPct

I'm not sure what those stats about 1 run games are supposed to imply.. that stat takes into account the entire year, and when imade that comment, i was talking about since the AS break.

if you look at the entire year, I'd say they were playing below their potential at the beginning and they have certainly been playing above their potential recently. They're a really hot team right now. 

I really hope not.

RubberWhistleHistle said:

I certainly hope so.

Seriously though, there's a good chance of it, if only because Toronto has a two-decade plus record of choking, and because the world is a cruel and evil place where the bad guys routinely win.

Met Fan perspective also here... (Also just a huge fan of Baseball as well)...

I think they barely will take it... I dunno... Something about that "Yankee Mystic" of such greatness has to come into play, so I have to put my money on them. But my feeling of them easily winning the division has dropped since Sabathia got injured however (he was doing better recently... and he's STILL better than any other Starter the Yankees can throw out there). Plus a huge part of me will like to see a Subway series!!

On the other hand... I'm one of the few New Yorkers whose an ARod fan(been one since he was a Freakin Mariner when he went 40/40) and if the Mets don't make it I would like him to see win a chip w/o Jeter so he can finally prove his greatness without PEDs....