By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why the Xbox One is losing to the PS4, according to the guy who made Xbox matter

Jazz2K said:
2013 was such a mess... but things are rolling for them right now. It's nice to see how far they have done in 2 years time. Xbox can now be judged wfor what it is in 2015 than for what it tried to be in 2013.

Yeah but that's the problem.  The Xbox One is now what it should have been at launch:  A weaker, cheaper PS4 with a lot of fans ready to upgrade.  Now the fans have chose PS4, the PS4 has all of the momentum, and soon the $350 X1 will be fighting a $300 PS4.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
I'm not convinced brand played as much of a factor as some believe.

Look at the number of consumers who went from the PS2 to the XB360. Now look at the number of consumers who went from the XB360 to the PS4.

I'm not going to say that the gaming consumer is fickle; they're generally well informed and capable of making a decision based upon something more than loyalty to a particular service or brand name.

I 100% agree.  People play up brand loyalty WAYYYY too much.  At the end of the day most people do revaluate every generation.  There are almost no free sales for MS or Sony.

Price and PR were there problems. Most people didn't see the need for a Kinect, and most people still seemed to believe the Xbox One could not play used games and needed an always online connection to work.

They've fixed pretty much every issue the console had, and hired new people to run the division, but you don't recover from something like that so easily or quickly.

Protendo said:

I like how they don't mention the main problems I had with the systems reveal:

DRM and online checks.

I bet they will attempt that again.

Its no longer considered a problem because that is the norm in the digital only future.

AlfredoTurkey said:
greenmedic88 said:

Look at the number of consumers who went from the PS2 to the XB360. Now look at the number of consumers who went from the XB360 to the PS4.

I'm not going to say that the gaming consumer is fickle; they're generally well informed and capable of making a decision based upon something more than loyalty to a particular service or brand name.

People in the US go with whatever product is considered "cool". NES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, 360... now PS4. What do they all have in common? All of them were considered the "cool" or "hip" console and all of them won the US marketshare. 

Apparently those of us in the USA are confused as to what is "cool" this gen, since the sales between the 2 consoles are pretty damn close. USA is X1's only saving grace right now.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:

Except that was mostly due the US, which seems to have the least loyal consumers for consoles.  However, everywhere else, without any mistakes and large price discrepancy on Sony's part, most would have chosen the PS4.  EU and ROW largely remained loyal to Sony, even with the huge mistakes of the PS3.  No other company would have (or have) survived a PS3, let alone made it go on to sell ~90M.

Sixteenvolt420 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

People in the US go with whatever product is considered "cool". NES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, 360... now PS4. What do they all have in common? All of them were considered the "cool" or "hip" console and all of them won the US marketshare. 

Apparently those of us in the USA are confused as to what is "cool" this gen, since the sales between the 2 consoles are pretty damn close. USA is X1's only saving grace right now.

Eh, wait til a $299 PS4 rolls around.  Then, you'll see a clear(er) winner in the US.

thismeintiel said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Eh, wait til a $299 PS4 rolls around.  Then, you'll see a clear(er) winner in the US.

PS4 is the only one that i own, i was just mostly meaning the rest of the country.

Eddie_Raja said:
Jazz2K said:
2013 was such a mess... but things are rolling for them right now. It's nice to see how far they have done in 2 years time. Xbox can now be judged wfor what it is in 2015 than for what it tried to be in 2013.

Yeah but that's the problem.  The Xbox One is now what it should have been at launch:  A weaker, cheaper PS4 with a lot of fans ready to upgrade.  Now the fans have chose PS4, the PS4 has all of the momentum, and soon the $350 X1 will be fighting a $300 PS4.

It doesn't matter you know not all gamers hold grudges over some past PR and failed policies. Some will look at what the Xbox has to offer today and will just appreciate what it is. A lot of my friends have a PS4 but a lot of them also like games on Xbox. No matter what happened in 2013 it won't stop them from doing what they like and it's enjoying games.

I think the downfall of Xbox started when they decided to cut into new AAA games and invest more in indies and Arcade. Sony did great and got momentum. Then came the reveal of the Xbox and everything went to sh*t. Add the reveal with the last years of 360 and the bad PR that went with it you've got a disaster like what happened. I think it'll only get better for Xbox from now on. People just need to understand that it doesn't matter if they don't outsell Playstation... they need to grow and build their portfolio... that's what they are doing. 2013 is long gone imo.

Jazz2K said:
Eddie_Raja said:

It doesn't matter you know not all gamers hold grudges over some past PR and failed policies. Some will look at what the Xbox has to offer today and will just appreciate what it is. A lot of my friends have a PS4 but a lot of them also like games on Xbox. No matter what happened in 2013 it won't stop them from doing what they like and it's enjoying games.

I think the downfall of Xbox started when they decided to cut into new AAA games and invest more in indies and Arcade. Sony did great and got momentum. Then came the reveal of the Xbox and everything went to sh*t. Add the reveal with the last years of 360 and the bad PR that went with it you've got a disaster like what happened. I think it'll only get better for Xbox from now on. People just need to understand that it doesn't matter if they don't outsell Playstation... they need to grow and build their portfolio... that's what they are doing. 2013 is long gone imo.

I never brought up the PR stuff from 2013 because I don't think people truly care about that anymore.  People look at two options and see one console that is 100% stronger, for 15% more money.  Easy choice.