By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei IV has sold 600,000 copies worldwide this far! Japan budget release coming soon in celebration

gabzjmm23 said:
StarOcean said:

Persona is more upbeat and psychological while SMT is more atmospheric and dark. If you like anime you'll like Persona more and if you like story more go for SMT. Gameplay-wise there's more to do in Persona games, SMT plays much more traditionally. In both you collect demons (called Shadows in Persona) but the difference is battle systems comes from Persona having a card game at the end to colect demons while you negotiate with demons during battle in SMT.

Sales wise Persona sells more, each iteration getting closer and closer to 1 million while SMT has stayed niche

maybe that is why Persona became a more wide known game due to being upbeat and it is in the playstation.  will check further SMT and Persona videos and i'll try to put in my wish list this year.

I wouldn't say the PlayStation is the only factor. The SMT series technically dates back to the NES era and actually had a number of spinoffs besides Persona on the PlayStation consoles including two versions of SMT 3.

Among the Japanese audience it is extremely well known appearing on numerous consoles and different media but was still sort of niche among mainstream JRPG players and Japan itself. Persona exploded outside of the shadow of the main Shin Megami Tensei series and into the mainstream as it adopted more visual novel aspects to its game play and focus on its characters at a time where the previous kingpins of Japan, Final Fantasy was losing its way and it was a long drought between a main Dragon Quest entry. While Tales is healthy it had yet to step out the second tier of popularity that most of the SMT franchise finds itself.

Persona hit at the right time and Persona 4 was a masterful game even released on a system after the new generation of consoles dropped.

Around the Network
NoirSon said:
gabzjmm23 said:
StarOcean said:

Persona is more upbeat and psychological while SMT is more atmospheric and dark. If you like anime you'll like Persona more and if you like story more go for SMT. Gameplay-wise there's more to do in Persona games, SMT plays much more traditionally. In both you collect demons (called Shadows in Persona) but the difference is battle systems comes from Persona having a card game at the end to colect demons while you negotiate with demons during battle in SMT.

Sales wise Persona sells more, each iteration getting closer and closer to 1 million while SMT has stayed niche

maybe that is why Persona became a more wide known game due to being upbeat and it is in the playstation.  will check further SMT and Persona videos and i'll try to put in my wish list this year.

I wouldn't say the PlayStation is the only factor. The SMT series technically dates back to the NES era and actually had a number of spinoffs besides Persona on the PlayStation consoles including two versions of SMT 3.

Among the Japanese audience it is extremely well known appearing on numerous consoles and different media but was still sort of niche among mainstream JRPG players and Japan itself. Persona exploded outside of the shadow of the main Shin Megami Tensei series and into the mainstream as it adopted more visual novel aspects to its game play and focus on its characters at a time where the previous kingpins of Japan, Final Fantasy was losing its way and it was a long drought between a main Dragon Quest entry. While Tales is healthy it had yet to step out the second tier of popularity that most of the SMT franchise finds itself.

Persona hit at the right time and Persona 4 was a masterful game even released on a system after the new generation of consoles dropped.

i didn't say it is just because of PS. but PS install base helped Persona to be well-known whereas SMT is also steadily increasing but not at the rate like Persona.