By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is anyone here buying LEGO Dimensions?

Are you buying LEGO Dimensions?

Yes - money is no object 4 16.67%

No - it's too expensive 8 33.33%

No - I was never interested 12 50.00%

Total:24

When LEGO Dimensions was first announced I thought it looked like it had potential but I was going to steer clear of it as I already have enough money-sinks in my life.

Then the Doctor Who trailer was released and I couldn't say no. My partner is mad for the doctor and this would be a game we could play together, and collect all the little crappy Doctor Who-related LEGO sets that go with it. I got all of the previous Doctor Who games across different platforms for her, and they've mostly been unplayable garbage, but this one looked promising.

Dying will cause you to come back as the first Doctor, then cycle all the way through the lot of them. Amazing.

Naturally, my next step was to confirm release date and pricing (I knew this one was going to be a bitch) to budget it all in, and possibly look at preordering the Doctor Who sets 'cause Doctor Who fans are nuts and they might buy them all before I had a chance. EBGames in Australia had the base set at $169.95. My jaw literally dropped. I then composed myself and put it down to a placeholder price, noted the release in September, and figured I'd check out pricing closer to the date.

Last weekend, while shopping I passed by an EBGames store and thought I'd ask them about the pricing. Those weren't placeholder prices. The game will cost $169.95 in Australia.

$169.95 for the Starter Pack

$49.95 for Level Packs

$39.95 for Team Packs

$24.95 for Fun Packs

Just looking at the packs coming out at launch, that'll cost you $773.95. Add another $354.40 for packs which are announced, but will be released later, and that brings the total to $1,128.35. This is just for what has been announced. There's obviously a sweet spot for pricing, where publishers can maximise their profits while still keeping consumers happy, but I feel they have overshot it.

My enthusiasm for the game has completely died and I will not be buying any of it regardless of how good it is. How about you guys?

Around the Network

Yes I will be buying xbox one version.

My kids will be asking for this but no thanks. Lego worlds looks more promising anyway and is only $14.99 for now. I really just want a follow up to Lego city undercover, that was fun. My kids just started playing it again from scratch.

I've steered clear of Disney Infinity, Skylanders and Amiibos. I simply don't see the appeal, so Lego following suit leaves me cold.

Looks great so I'll be buying it. Lego games are the only games that interest me at the moment.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

SvennoJ said:
My kids will be asking for this but no thanks. Lego worlds looks more promising anyway and is only $14.99 for now. I really just want a follow up to Lego city undercover, that was fun. My kids just started playing it again from scratch.

I've steered clear of Disney Infinity, Skylanders and Amiibos. I simply don't see the appeal, so Lego following suit leaves me cold.

Pretty much this - both of my kids are big LEGO games fans, but I've kept them away from all the figures craze since I see it as bottomless money pit.

LEGO Worlds is decent, but inevitable 'why can't we play together?' question pops up quite often - main reason why I'm not sure I'll buy them LEGO City Undercover once I get WiiU.

Around the Network

I just bought new bookshelves, am buying new couches. and need to replace my processer/video card with a list of half a dozen other games I'd like to get first, and I like to collect Roman coins and have my eye on an old 4th century ring... Oh, also need a new VMU for my dreamcast gun (just dug the system out of the attic) so my buddy and can reminisce with some House of the Dead 2.

tl;dr It looks really cool (love Dr. Who and Legos games are great) but this is far too expensive... By the time I could get around to it I'd be more interested in other stuf.

I want to play try it, because of that Doctor Who tráiler (massive fan of the show). But, I won't buy it if it costs that much. That's insane!

No i wont buy it, its just too much money

Horrendously overpriced. I might grab it next year depending on the prices it, and its figures, go for during sales.
Skylanders is still the cheaper more appealing option for parents I'd say

HoloDust said:
SvennoJ said:

Pretty much this - both of my kids are big LEGO games fans, but I've kept them away from all the figures craze since I see it as bottomless money pit.

LEGO Worlds is decent, but inevitable 'why can't we play together?' question pops up quite often - main reason why I'm not sure I'll buy them LEGO City Undercover once I get WiiU.

Yeah it sucks it's not multiplayer, and sucks you can't play off tv. My youngest was 2 when it came out so the nearly 4 year old had free reign to learn how to play. Now the youngest is doing the same. They love running around the city doing every day stuff. They have Lego marvel superheroes and lego movie game for WiiU as well yet those get far less attention. The pirates of the Caribean got the most attention of the old ones, yet still nothing like undercover which has been completed many times. A follow up with multiplayer would be awesome.

Maybe lego worlds will get a splitscreen version for consoles at some point :)

And those figures, it already sucks having to look for the controllers. The vision of searching for those external drm keys is enough to put me off. I rather buy them overpriced actual Lego to play with. I would like to play that Dr Who lego adventure, but not if I have to get external items to get it to work.