By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Display Monitor for PS3

I find I spend most of my time infront of my PC display instead of my HDTV, so I am planning on picking up a display monitor to get the best experience out of my PS3 on my desktop. I need help in on some specs. Most 22in displays come max res 1680x1050 which I think means 720p. Now 24in I can find 1920x1200 which I think also means 1080p, obviously I would prefer the cheaper option. I love great graphics but would I really miss out on great visuals if I chose the 1680x1050(720p) over the 1920x1200(1080p).

Secondly would I get the same results If the display monitor came with a DVI-D with HDCP connection or should I stick with HDMI most 22in only have DVI-D with HDCP. Thanks for you input

PSN - Kratos0518

Around the Network

I´m not even sure you can hook a PS3 to a PC monitor... but I could be wrong...

Resolutions are different from HDTV specs.

720p is the lowest number of lines on the TV. That's up and down.
720 lines up and down on the TV.
1080p is 1080 lines up and down on the TV.

On my 360 when it's connected to a HDTV you get the options of
480p
720p
1080i
1080p

When my 360 is on my Pc Monitor theres like 12 different Resolution options.
from 640x480 - 1800x1024.

Dont think of it as 720p must be this res. It doesnt work like that. Well at least with the 360. When it detects a monitor the 360 displays like a pc.

Um i think that is 1080p.

I don't know very much about the resolution, but you should definitely get one with HDMI, because that is the only way that *I* think the PS3 can connect to a monitor, unless you have some kind of converter cable.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Also you have to use the vga cable for the ps3 to connect to the monitor. I think they do 1080p. If you don't have vga and have dvi get a vga to dvi adapter.

I have my PS3 hooked up via the component cables, but I have my 360 hooked up to my LCD via the VGA. My, my, it's a pretty picture. I tried to hook up my PS3 with an HDMI to DVI cable, but nada. I would love to see if HDMI to VGA works great.

Max HD is 1900x1080. So if you have that resolution on your monitor, your good there.

You will also need to make sure your monitor does DHCP. I have a 30" dell (2560x1600), but it does not do HDCP, so I can not hook a PS3 (or cable box for that matter) up to it.

madskillz said:
I have my PS3 hooked up via the component cables, but I have my 360 hooked up to my LCD via the VGA. My, my, it's a pretty picture. I tried to hook up my PS3 with an HDMI to DVI cable, but nada. I would love to see if HDMI to VGA works great.

It would probaly look worse. I think it is because dvi is digital like hdmi while vga is analog.

sc94597 said:
madskillz said:

It would probaly look worse. I think it is because dvi is digital like hdmi while vga is analog.

On a monitor you wouldnt notice a difference between Hdmi or Vga. Digital and analog isnt much different. HDmi is hyped. I dont think I can notice a difference on my 42" Panasonic HD 1080p TV.