By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How well would the Wii sell without Wii Sports?

Inspired by another thread but I think it's a really interesting question and goes straight to the heart of how important software is to a console.

PS3 - no killer app = dire sales.

How would the Wii have fared in these early months without it's killer app?

Around the Network

That would depend on the price. @$250 not so good. @$199. Just as good as now.

well wii launched with twilight princess so without wii sports bundled, the wii would have similar sales here in america. not so sure about japan though, its a totally different market

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary

Blex said:
well wii launched with twilight princess so without wii sports bundled, the wii would have similar sales here in america. not so sure about japan though, its a totally different market

Its not bundled in Japan

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Twilight Princess, whilst an absolutely amazing game, was also available on GC so I don't consider it a killer app. I reckon you guys are underestimating the importance of Wii Sports - it's like the public face of the Wii, the game that introduces you to the Wii and the game you use to introduce your friends to the Wii. Such a killer game.

Around the Network

Without Zelda : TP or Wii Sports, it would be behind the PS3 at any price, IMHO.

Edit : you have to consider Twilight Princess for Wii a "killer app" because it's so heavily outsold (and still over-selling) the gamecube version. 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Just to clarify, my hypothetical question is 'What would have happened if Wii Sports didn't exist' - not 'what would have happened if it wasn't bundled with the hardware'. Sorry for the confusion.

wii fans do not get angry with me.....i didnt buy it for wii sports, i bought it for zelda/motion and story and the other games promised .

no Wii Sports, no Wii Hype, no Wii sales

I think Wii sports is the greatest Ad in the history of gaming. I think the Wii wouldn't of sold quite as well at least not at first, no other game captures the casual crowd as well as Wii sports.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"