By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Thoughts on GameStop Selling Retro Games?

No indication of the quality or status (complete, boxed, etc.) really annoys me. That fact alone makes most of the prices pretty bad compared to ebay and amazon. Still, some items, such as Chrono Trigger, are reasonably priced. 

Hi

Around the Network
2Quick said:
IAmCrimsonLegion said:

B2G1 Free is pretty good, especially when you're smart about it. Using a coupon, coupled with a PUR card and you can save some good money.

were/are you a gamestop employee? what was the policy on giving out old displays and promotional boxes from the store?  I always wanted to get the big in-store cardboard box for certian games (zelda, Rockstar games).  

I used to work for Gamestop for 2 1/2 years. I no longer do so. Too much redtape. Anyway, in my store we used to give out displays and promotional boxes to favored customers or regulars. Sometimes, I would give 'em out to other customers because I felt like it. :p Most of the time, it's up to the individual store what they do with that stuff. Some store managers don't like giving that stuff out to customers. The SM I worked for did not have a problem with it. Try asking the SM if they can give it to you. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Those prices are actually really fair. Mostly. The first party Nintendo stuff is mostly marked up but even then I'm seeing a LOT of those going for less than the average price (Yoshi Story is like $10 cheaper than anywhere else for example).

I'm actually quite impressed. They know they're selling to the kind of crowd that knows its stuff, so they're not trying to gip people outside of like the Mario Parties and the like (AKA the games that casual fans would buy and thus are gippable).

Kudos, GameStop. As a collector I approve.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

the prices aren't bad, it's as good or better than local retro shops, ebay, and amazon. You have to get really lucky to find these games in the wild anymore, it's a different world now for retro gamers. I really don't know what you guys were expecting here, there are local shops here selling SSB for $90 and $70. Gamestop has it for $50

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

IAmCrimsonLegion said:
2Quick said:

were/are you a gamestop employee? what was the policy on giving out old displays and promotional boxes from the store?  I always wanted to get the big in-store cardboard box for certian games (zelda, Rockstar games).  

I used to work for Gamestop for 2 1/2 years. I no longer do so. Too much redtape. Anyway, in my store we used to give out displays and promotional boxes to favored customers or regulars. Sometimes, I would give 'em out to other customers because I felt like it. :p Most of the time, it's up to the individual store what they do with that stuff. Some store managers don't like giving that stuff out to customers. The SM I worked for did not have a problem with it. Try asking the SM if they can give it to you. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I was good friends with one of the store managers back in the day.  He made me feel welcome, and would pass on some cool stuff to me.  the Store manager changed though, and the new one didn't seem to care as much.  I really liked gamestop back in the day because I felt like those personal connections created a fun and interesting culture that was superior to the box stores because of it.  I feel like that kind of experience is getting more and more uncommon at gamestop though...

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

Around the Network

I just hope that they're actually cleaning the ones they get in. The reason retro stores mark up so hard is because A: People are stupid enough to buy at that price, and B: They normally meticulously clean the stuff they get.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
Those prices are actually really fair. Mostly. The first party Nintendo stuff is mostly marked up but even then I'm seeing a LOT of those going for less than the average price (Yoshi Story is like $10 cheaper than anywhere else for example).

I'm actually quite impressed. They know they're selling to the kind of crowd that knows its stuff, so they're not trying to gip people outside of like the Mario Parties and the like (AKA the games that casual fans would buy and thus are gippable).

those prices are fairly aggressive without actually giving any details regarding condiiton of said cartridges/disks

also do note that the reasonable priced items (like I see some for the Dreamcast) are all items that are NOT available online; i.e. there is really no confirmation of if that will be the real price since clearly they do not have inventory of many of these games currently 

iLikeEggs said:

No indication of the quality or status (complete, boxed, etc.) really annoys me. That fact alone makes most of the prices pretty bad compared to ebay and amazon. Still, some items, such as Chrono Trigger, are reasonably priced. 

this; bear in mind that almost entirely they will be carts only most likely and that many are going to have terrible shape labels. its a huge risk. also some of the items that seems 'reasonably priced' are 'unavailable online' meaning they can't even fufill the supposed good deal

I think the biggest issue Gamestop is going to have is customer feedback, no one is going to be happy paying top dollar for a cartridge game and receiving one that has a disfigured label or stickers all over it. 

mountaindewslave said:
DivinePaladin said:

those prices are fairly aggressive without actually giving any details regarding condiiton of said cartridges/disks

also do note that the reasonable priced items (like I see some for the Dreamcast) are all items that are NOT available online; i.e. there is really no confirmation of if that will be the real price since clearly they do not have inventory of many of these games currently 

It's no different than going on ebay or Amazon. We have little promise of quality from any third party seller online; our only guarantee is that we can return it if we're not satisfied (after paying return shipping) because of buyer protection. That's exactly the same as GameStop right now, for mostly the same prices if not cheaper. 

Once this rolls out more I'm sure we'll have options to see specific images before we buy and such, just like Amazon does. Also, I'm fairly positive that for the cartridge games at least they likely won't buy any carts that are in poor condition label-wise; we have no promises on the discs, which is where I'd be weary. But again, their return policy is much more convenient than amazon or ebay because you can apparently return the item to a store right away if you buy online.

Parapa the Rapper is 35$. There are only a few lower than on Ebay. This is definitely competitively priced and I feel more comfortable as a consumer buying from Gamestop.

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air