By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Does SEGA Superstars Tennis fail in fan service?

I've been reading up on SEGA Superstars Tennis because it's made by the awesome team behind Virtua Tennis 3 and because it's supposed to be the Tennis equivalent of Smash Bros. The more I find out however, the more I see this is not a SEGA fanboy's wet dream. Just look at the roster to begin with:

Sonic the Hedgehog
NiGHTS
Beat(Jet Set Radio)
Ulala(Space Channel 5)
AiAi(Super Monkey Ball)
Amigo(Samba De Amigo)
Tails
Dr. Eggman

and the secret characters:

Shadow the Hedgehog
Reala(NiGHTS into Dreams)
MeeMee(Super Monkey Ball)
Gum(Jet Set Radio)
Pudding(Space Channel 5)
Amy(Sonic the Hedgehog)
Alex Kidd
Gilius(Golden Axe)

Doesn't that seem a little lopsided considering how deep and varied the SEGA lineup is? They should be able to provide just as much fan service as a Smash Bros with their history. Not to mention...(spoiler)...they're using multiple characters from just a few series with the Sonic series taking 1/3 of all roster positions.

Does anyone else feel this doesn't well represent SEGA fans and would have liked a more varied and lineup? Post your dream roster for SEGA Superstars Tennis, but try and leave it at the 15 SEGA has put forth and see who can make a great roster. Also, sorry but I just love SEGA too much to not vent a little when they pull cheap cash in attempts and with one of their best developers to boot. This doesn't take away from the quality of the gameplay as I expect it to be good, just the fan service. Here's my roster:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Beat(Jet Set Radio)
Vector Man
Alex Kidd
El Blaze(Virtua Fighter 5)
Seaman
NiGHTS
Axel(Streets of Rage)
REZ
Shinobi
Ryo Hazuki(Shenmue)
Toe Jam & Earl(One follows the other)
Sketch Turner(Comix Zone)
AiAi(Super Monkey Ball)
Harrier(Space Harrier) 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Meh, it could be better, but I think it's pretty solid.

How would Seaman work?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
How would Seaman work?
Seaman's advanced state has limbs like a frog. Also in Seaman 2 I think the new Seaman is a caveman based on screenshots.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

as I said in another post it may have been made using virtual tennis engine but you cannot dive for shots like you can in VT - it's basically like a watered down casual version of the vt gameplay if you like.

Around the Network

Well, that just means it's set up to have a sequel with more characters.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

Onyxmeth said:

Here's my roster:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Beat(Jet Set Radio)
Vector Man
Alex Kidd
El Blaze(Virtua Fighter 5)
Seaman
NiGHTS
Axel(Streets of Rage)
REZ
Shinobi
Ryo Hazuki(Shenmue)
Toe Jam & Earl(One follows the other)
Sketch Turner(Comix Zone)
AiAi(Super Monkey Ball)
Harrier(Space Harrier) 

you have a very male based list sir.

for a first entry, i think 16 characters is a good number and the cast is pretty solid (though not perfect in my personal opinion). still, it's hard to ask for much more on a first time out.

if it were up to me:

sonic, tails, knuckles, eggman, amy (5) - shinobi (6) - toe jam and earl (7) - Nights (8) - vector man (9) - Beat (10) - AiAi (11) - Amigo (12) - Ulala (13) - sarah bryant (14) - rez (15) - axel (16)

Would be great to have blaze from streets of rage. Maybe some golden axe people. Some crazy taxi people. I suppose if it gets a sequel then it has plenty of new characters to choose from to add.

Yes

I'd like to see Wonder Boy

and Alis, the female lead of the original Phantasy Star.

I think most people mistake "Appeared on the Genesis" for "Sega-owned."