By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SOE has been integrated with SCEI...

From Gamasutra:

Sony has announced that after a structural reshuffle, its Sony Online Entertainment division (Everquest, The Agency) is being moved to the Sony Computer Entertainment wing to better integrate with "the PS3 experience," with CEO John Smedley now reporting directly to SCEI president Kaz Hirai.

Sony says the new structure "is designed to mutually benefit both companies by further accelerating the PlayStation business through SOE's strong online gaming expertise."

The San Diego based division -- formerly part of Sony Pictures Entertainment -- is expected to continue normal operations producing PC and PS3 titles, but Hirai says the move will help online games and services to become "a more integral part of the PS3 entertainment experience."

He added, "This new structure will allow us to take full advantage of the extensive breadth of expertise of the two companies and increase our range of exciting entertainment offerings to our consumers."

Said Smedley, "We are thrilled to become a part of the incredible team that has made PlayStation 3 the premier platform for next generation online gaming. This move is going to broaden our capabilities and expand the development of our products into new and exciting directions."

It's about time.  I've always wondered why Sony let SOE do their own thing instead of supporting the PlayStation consoles.  Just look at the titles they've released over the past 9 years.  Out of ~45 games, only 8 or so have made it to Sony consoles.  The rest have been PC titles.  The Agency is the first multiplatform SOE title, and while the article says that SOE will continue their normal PC/Consoles strategy, I don't think it will last past the Agency.  SOE is the perfect tool for SCE to push the PSN, and I think that they'll put SOE to work on PS titles from here on out.  Of course, some may still be crossplatform like the Agency, to help push cross platform play.

And I just noticed how awesome the name Gamasutra is, lol.

Around the Network

Yeah thats fantastic news :) This might be that firecracker under the PSN's chair :P I think it's a fantastic move and I'm hoping this means great things for the future on online gaming and just gaming in general for the playstation lineup :)

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Hopefully they will have learned the lessons of the past, although I kind of doubt it. The only reason WoW is successful is because EQ stagnated due to neglect and incompetence. And don't even get me started about Star Wars Galaxies.

Yeah thats a great move moving SOE into SCEI, this is probably a move that shouldve happened before the launch of the Ps3. I definitely wanna see what the future holds for Sony's online gaming. :)

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

This is good news? SOE sucks. :>

Around the Network

Uh, EQ was awesome. WoW was made by Blizzard (extremely popular) and was easier to level. Everquest's success led to WoW being possible.

Wow, is every mod going to come and bash SOE? Geez...

didn't cha know Windbane, Sony bashing is in ;) No but on a serious note, I don't care what SOE's track performance is, they have an assload of online resources, and they're getting the game devision, which frickin rocks. This is a win-win on both sides, I actually see no downside to this.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Unbiased mods FTW!

This is good news though.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

windbane said:
Wow, is every mod going to come and bash SOE? Geez...

Well if there was anything all the mods could agree on...