By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Screwing Up: The production claim

I am very irritated by the Wii sales trend in the last months. Remember the claim of 1.8 million Wiis produced per month? Whats up with that. Just some pathetic boasting? To elaborate:

Assumption: Wiis shipped = Wiis sold

Sales WW according to this site:

January: 1.6 million (Edit: Thanks stranne for the correction...)

February: 1.29million

Legendary March start: 0.2 million (1 week)

That means in Jan and Feb alone, Nintendo presumably produced 0.7 MILLION (Edit: corrected) units more than they shipped/ sold. I can only say: WTF?

I assumed they "stockpiled" a bit for a massive SSBB release. But then this pathetic blib of hardware sales in SSBB release week? Where are the 1.8 million units produced? What is Nintendo production/ distribution smoking?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

crack cocaine bought by the money bags their consoles are making them, isn't that what all rich people do these day? o.0

In b4 stockpiling excuse.

I think there will be some big spikes when the big games launch (SSBB, Wii Fit and MK). That will get the average up by quite a bit, but they also have to stockpile for:

- the Chinese/Korean launch
- the holiday season in every territory
- Japan's golden week?

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that they are indeed producing at least 1.8 million consoles per month (and that number may increase in the next fiscal year).

DMeisterJ said:
In b4 stockpiling excuse.

In after someone claims stockpiling is an excuse.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

January stock was airfreited instead of shipped and as such the stock that would of come out in Jan actually came out in December. Febuaries stock is another question. Was it held back for the release of ssbb in the US. We won't know for a few more days. But you are right. It does look a little barren doesn't it.

Around the Network

oops, i made one mistake: sales data goes till 8th, ssbb was released 9th.

Better see humongous sales data in NA next week...

still, i find this funky.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

honestly their is no reason to stock pile, it's not like your going to sell more, infact stock pilling will just make consumers even more angry cuz now they'll have an even harder time trying to find one.

Lets say Nintendo is making 100 consoles a month, in two months they sell 200 consoles, so now lets say that in the 1st month Nintendo just stock piles, and then on the second month they sell all console made and stock piled, this will still mean that they would still only sell 200 console in the 2 months.

Honestly the only time where stockpiling console is good and actually useful is for the launching a console, cuz the more you stockpile the more you sell on launch day, apart from this it's useless.

Wii Sales go from 200k to 400k the following whats up with that? Why not just say 300k per week sales, guess supply issues maybe.

The Wii is easy to get here in the Netherlands (for example otto.nl, 24 hours delivery). Technically the Wii should be very easy to produce en masse and sales are very profitable.

Having said that I think the Wii will have an overall good year, Mario Kart will soon boost sales and there's more than enough room for a price cut. For 2009 I am far less optimistic although I think the Wii will probably still outsell the 360.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

this has nothing to do with supply issues. a factory will have a constant output, not suddenly produce more one week from the next.

I have no idea what Nintendo is doing there, it just looks plain awful.

an indication for 1.8 million production and constant sell outs would be 450 K sold each and every week. not this shit jumping up and down and selling less than 200 K a week. I mean who is planning their distribution?