By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:
Up to 3? Damn, Lol. Hopefully Obsidian, Idk who else, I believe Matt Booty said they were looking for AA studios. Armature would be nice if they build them up for a proper Unreal Engine 4 ReCore sequel. It'd be awesome to go from zero exclusive RPG's to starting next gen with two RPG studios (Playground & Obsidian).

Obsidian and Playful are the front runners from what we have heard so far, I doubt that they announce three though two at most. I would really happy with Obsidian and meh on Playful.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
EspadaGrim said:

Man I kinda hope that Playful isn't one of the Studios MS bought, It's heavily hinted that they are actually working on a MS 1st party IP. I just think that there are better studios to buy like Armature.

BTW Jez speculated that MS might announce new studio acquisitions at the XO event, he said up to 3 so he might have info on what studios MS is talking to.

They seem like an okay up-and-comer.  They're getting a bigger office and hiring for more talent so it's possible to think MS would want to get in on that early.

I just think that there are better studios out there that are AA size that have better track records, Playful seems like the type of studio that you can give a 2nd party deal. I know that it's more complicated than that but we just don't know if they have a cap on the amount of studios that they want to acquire and I would hate to see a "spot wasted" on one that I don't think would bring much change to the platform, I still don't like the Undead Labs acquisition for example.

WoodenPints said:

Yeah Matt Booty said about 40-50 AA staff studios that can put out games every 2 years are stuff their are looking for if I recall correctly. Up to 3 is interesting as Obsidian seems most likely from what we have heard but the other 2... maybe the Playful rumour could pan out or at the very least them working on a Rare IP as 2nd party partner is true but for the third I'd have no idea.

Was this an article by Jez or something? I've not seen anything about it and wouldn't mind a read if so.

It was from an interview about game pass that I posted a while back I'll try to find it.

Ryuu96 said:
EspadaGrim said:

Obsidian and Playful are the front runners from what we have heard so far, I doubt that they announce three though two at most. I would really happy with Obsidian and meh on Playful.

Why Playful, Lol, Idk why they can't just expand Rare and get their ass on a platformer again, they'd do one better than Playful and faster too. Obsidian would be amazing for more serious toned RPG's while Playground does the light heart Fable.

The rumors right now is that they are working on an MS 1st party IP (hinted that it's not Conker or Banjo) and they have a history with MS and would be a cheap buy, I don't want them either and if they get chosen over Armature then I will be pissed.

WoodenPints said:

Yeah Matt Booty said about 40-50 AA staff studios that can put out games every 2 years are stuff their are looking for if I recall correctly. Up to 3 is interesting as Obsidian seems most likely from what we have heard but the other 2... maybe the Playful rumour could pan out or at the very least them working on a Rare IP as 2nd party partner is true but for the third I'd have no idea.

Was this an article by Jez or something? I've not seen anything about it and wouldn't mind a read if so.

Here it is https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-23-why-xbox-bought-ninja-theory

the quote

Microsoft will hope the same will be true of Game Pass; people come in for Sea of Thieves, but stick around for Hellblade. So with that in mind, is Microsoft keeping its cheque book out to buy more mid-tier studios? Or is the shopping done?

"I don't want to seem like we're going out to fill a quota," he says. "It's not about filling a spreadsheet by any means. We will, however, have an interest in studios right now that fit this criteria of 50 to 100 people, who are making games on a two to three year cadence, and have content that we think will be of interest to our Game Pass subscribers. That means content that is a little different to what our big AAA franchises can deliver.

Around the Network

3 studios sound like a lot.

My short list of possible studios are Obsidian, Playful, Iron Galaxy, Armature, Aurora44,and Hazelight.

Out of those studios, they should pick up Obsidian and Hazelight, and leave the rest.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

shikamaru317 said:
If there are 3 new studios, and the Obsidian and Playful rumors are true, I want Armature to be the 3rd, I need ReCore 2 with a better engine and bigger budget in my life.

Recore 2 can happen without Armature. I mean, we already know Inafune won't be involved so it's certain that it won't be made by the same people as the original.

I doubt they will ever acquire a japanese studio but i would love Grounding inc be a first party and make a new Phantom Dust.

I still want MS to go after studios like Ninja Theory, they were a massive surprise and it seemed like a pipe dream at the time. They were not not looking for a buyout and MS managed to convince them to get onboard without trying to aggressively buy them out like some big publishers like to do.

Last edited by EspadaGrim - on 28 September 2018