By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is grand theft auto 3 the best selling game ever?

OK I understand that technically Super mario brothers is the best selling game ever with 40.24m. But the second best selling game ever is Pokemon red/green/blue with 31.38m. But pokemon is 3 games in one series so by this logic every chapter of GTA3 could be included in this including Liberty and Vice city stories.

These are the sales for all the games in the GTA3 series...

Grand Theft Auto: San AndreasRockstar7,0667.8115.35m
Grand Theft Auto: Vice CityRockstar3,6027.8114.20m
Grand Theft Auto 3  7.8011.60m
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City StoriesRockstar3,0677.134.69m
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City StoriesRockstar1,6857.773.17m
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City StoriesRockstar

7.782.34m

Grand Theft Auto Double PackTake 27317.472.22m
Grand Theft Auto: San AndreasTake 22,0497.761.93m
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City StoriesRockstar8547.640.53m

This means that the whole GTA3 series has sold over 56.03 million, so going by the logic that applies to pokemon the case sould be made that the best selling game ever could be GTA3.

What do you think? should it be considered the best selling game by the logic that applies to pokemon?

*edit* This was just a passing thought, I don't really have much of an opinion if this is the best selling game ever, but I thought it would be interesting to see if people thought it had a case to be best selling game ever.

Around the Network

Pokemon red/green/blue isn't three different games in a series. It's three different versions of the same game. So your premise is incorrect.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Yeah, these GTA games are all different games in their own right, whereas the PKMS are almost exactly the same game, with only minor variations.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

pokemon blu red green w/e are 3 games that are teh exact same kinda. just diff versions

Yeah I agree with Stof, a lot of people bought every GTA game but I don't know much people who bought every kind of Pokemon.

Around the Network

It was just a passing thought I had, I haven't really put much thought into it like that. I just wandered what people thought, so yeah this is good.
To be honest I don't have an opinion on whether it should be the best selling game or not, I couldn't care less. But it looks like people don't think this is the best selling game ever.

Well, yeah, because it's not. :p

Mario 3 is the best selling stand alone game ever. That's all.

Now we just wait for Wii sports to shatter the record

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Wii Sports isn't a standalone game.