By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gorgeous New Screenshots Released for RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance using CryEngine

Nuvendil said:
Also, I'm still surprised they're using Cryengine. I've worked with it and the base engine is an outright pain in the arse to work with for open world games. You gotta do some serious finagling on your end to get it to work. And it's just overall not very well optimized for it out of the box (definitely wasn't back when they started over a year ago iirc).

afaik many of them are former CryTek staff, they probably use it because they were comfortable with that and learning a different engine would take time/create additional costs

Around the Network

I think it looks great.

The environment looks lush with vegetation and looks like a place that would actually exist in the middle-ages. I haven't heard of this game, but I might look into it a bit more.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Lafiel said:
Nuvendil said:
Also, I'm still surprised they're using Cryengine. I've worked with it and the base engine is an outright pain in the arse to work with for open world games. You gotta do some serious finagling on your end to get it to work. And it's just overall not very well optimized for it out of the box (definitely wasn't back when they started over a year ago iirc).

afaik many of them are former CryTek staff, they probably use it because they were comfortable with that and learning a different engine would take time/create additional costs

True.  And Unreal Engine 4 wasn't out yet, so it was Cryengine or the aging Unreal Engine 3, with the latter not being terribly user friendly either.  Anyway, I will say that Cryengine is a good engine if you are targeting highly realistic environments, so that worked out well for them.

Nuvendil said:
HoloDust said:
IIRC, this one is going for realism in all fields, if I'm not mistaken they were heavily researching how real combat was done in middle ages...so no jumping around like buffoon in full plate amour.

Actually, fully armored knights could both run and jump.  The excellent craft and balance of plate armor is what made it so formidable in the first place.  Now jumping swordsrikes are more suspect as you don't have good leverage in most cases.

I know, I watched lot of videos of full plate armour mobility and combat - I should've probably been more clear...I was referring to hack'n'slash type of combat which I hate in RPGs - I like them more heavier and realistic.

b00moscone said:
I think it looks great.

The environment looks lush with vegetation and looks like a place that would actually exist in the middle-ages. I haven't heard of this game, but I might look into it a bit more.

I really like the lighting in the 2nd picture, makes it look like the forests I've been to on a normal overcast day.

Around the Network

technologically advanced or not,... looks boring.

See, I'm a Total War fan as well as an RPG fan and one thing I love in Total War that I always wanted in an RPG is the historical accuracy. It will be a great change of pace.