By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Super Smash Bros. DLC Modes Planned, Says Sakurai

Would you like to see dlc modes?

yess! 30 71.43%

Naw 6 14.29%

I'll take any dlc 6 14.29%

See results 0 0%

Total:42

In his latest column for Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu (ファミ通), Super Smash Bros.series director Masahiro Sakurai revealed that his team’s plans for downloadable content include new Super Smash Bros. DLC modes and online features.

Sakurai’s comments, translated by Source Gaming, discuss how he wants to “maintain excitement” with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DSbeyond the recent release of Mewtwo. His plan involves additional DLC characters and game content, including new Super Smash Bros. DLC modes.

Given the different types of content we’re producing, it wouldn’t be surprising for the planning of one item to coincide with the development, balancing, and finalization of several others. We also have version updates, online features, and additional modes to worry about. It can be quite overwhelming, but it’s all about making players happy.

In the past, Sakurai said he had no plans for any paid DLC after the games’ release, and went into detail about how developing Nintendo’s all-star fighting games “takes its toll” on his health and personal life.

Earlier this month, however, Nintendo revealed that the new Super Smash Bros. games will have multiple types of paid DLC. The first batch included Mewtwo and new Mii Fighter outfits and released last week, while the DLC character Lucas is planned for June.

In his column, Sakurai made sure to emphasize that the new DLC for his games is different from what he called the “DLC scam” pulled by publishers who separately sell content that could have been in the base game at launch. Instead, all DLC for Super Smash Bros. began development after the release of the games.

Nintendo is currently seeking fan input regarding what new DLC characters to add to the roster, and opened an online ballot to survey the Internet’s opinion. Files found within the latest software update for the game, however, suggest that Ryu from Street Fighter and Roy from Fire Emblem may already be in development.

Source: http://nintendonews.com/2015/04/super-smash-bros-dlc-modes-sakurai/

You guys have any awesome modes you would like to see in DLC?

Around the Network

I would like a custom fighters/miis mode cause come on, sure they are op but if they are confined in a mode, then it should be fine

It should be free though cause paying for a mode is nonsense

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I would like to see FREE DLC modes

I dont want to see paid DLC modes

Splitting the userbase in half is bullshit

DLC should be like kickstarter the more money is made the more content is created (but in this case the longer the game sells okayish the more content should be made if people stop buying the games DLC can also stop)

How about that story mode Sakurai -_-
No seriously though what happened to this whole no DLC thing?? Just go make new games damn it Sakurai. You can don so much more than this franchise

Captain_Yuri said:

I would like a custom fighters/miis mode cause come on, sure they are op but if they are confined in a mode, then it should be fine

Like online Mii fighter only mode? That'd be cool.

Around the Network

Wow, Nintendo, you're quickly disappointing me.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I'd love to see a custom fighter mode online, would be interesting.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Natsu said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Like online Mii fighter only mode? That'd be cool.

Yeaa like that! I feel like its a wasted potential to have so much customizations with characters but not letting us use them online :/ I get balance issues but at least have one mode exclusively for it T_T

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Even though it probably won't happen, I wanna adventure mode!!! Is that too much to ask? I hate that EVERY mode revolves around fighting somebody. Bring some of that Kirby flare to the Wii U version. Smash Run will probably be the closest thing to an adventure mode we get though. I'm just dreamin'.

Give me custom online mode.