By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If NX = cross-buy/unified SW library, what'll make ppl double dip on HW?

A valid argument bas been made about one type of HW cannibalizing another if there aren't system exclusives, but that is a different topic.  This is about what will help Nintendo push different types of HW, if NX is in fact a unified library or cross-buy platform.

Let's assume the default NX system is a HH, which may cost up to $250.  What will motivate consumers to buy other HW types, starting with a major one that allows NX games to be played on a big screen?

-NX tv : $129.  A  microconsole version of the HH, featuring the same specs. Pro controller sold separately or bundled for $159*

-NX  theater : $199 .  This console  version will have several times more power than HH and will have the original build or  best native graphical fidelity (no upres). Pro controller separate, or bundled for $229*  

* - both allow NX HH to be used as a controller

Nintendo can easily  release both of these types, as well as other forms (i.e. tablet)  and even gimmicks... but if you had to pick one of these 2, which do you think will have more success to help Nintendo profit most on HW...The cheaper price point, or the upgraded performance?

Around the Network

A $70 increase = several times more powerful? What? At most, it will be twice as powerful but that's not saying much since it is handheld parts... It will be weak even if it is twice or "several times" more powerful

But either ways, I would just buy a handheld and not the console because I will be getting the same games on both platforms so why would I bother spending money on the console when I can just save that money and buy a ps/xb or just more games in general

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

So you're saying that both of the home console versions are cheaper than the handheld version? Highly unlikely, if you as me..

Unless I misunderstood, and the TV/theater is an add on for the handheld..?

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Captain_Yuri said:

A $70 increase = several times more powerful? What? At most, it will be twice as powerful but that's not saying much since it is handheld parts... It will be weak even if it is twice or "several times" more powerful

But either ways, I would just buy a handheld and not the console because I will be getting the same games on both platforms so why would I bother spending money on the console when I can just save that money and buy a ps/xb or just more games in general

Pretty much this which is why everytime someone post I ignore it. Its a dumb idea and will hurt the profit margin.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

At that point, I don't think I'd bother with the theater version, if the library was unified.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Platina said:
So you're saying that both of the home console versions are cheaper than the handheld version? Highly unlikely, if you as me..

Unless I misunderstood, and the TV/theater is an add on for the handheld..?

To start off, I think they will be cheaper than HH, yes.  There could be other high end versions later on for sure, esp. if there's a demand for it or if Nintendo is making a genuine effort to attract 3rd parties.

and no they are not add-ons, more like pstv and a souped up pstv.

Well is their really that many double dippers as it is?

Wii U makes up a whopping 15% of total Nintendo hardware sold this generation.

Gamecube made up a whopping 20% of Nintendo hardware during the 6th generation and that's with GBA's life being cut short by DS.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I've always thought that a more intelligent fusion platform would be like an improved Wii U, where you buy one system but the controller functions as its own handheld and can play the console games anywhere on it, but if you want to play on a bigger screen with a few added capabilities, then you can play on the console itself.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

NX Portable-300 gflop, 2gb RAM, 540p

NX Console-1.2 tflop, 8gb RAM, 1080p

Wouldn't it be reasonable for devices like this to each cost about $250 in 2017?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I bought all the consoles last gen and the gen before that, this gen I plan to get all of them besides the Vita and even I wouldn't buy more than one of these NX consoles.  I don't think there's much they can do to entice people, buying two consoles that play the same games is a hard sell.