By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem's new anime direction (RANT)

NoirSon said:

Wait, not done yet!

Mordecai: Big gentle, quiet animal guy powerhouse.

Ranulf: Cool confident badass pretty boy with high rank

Not going to lie, couldn't find someone comparable to Ranulf in Awakening but it has been a while since I played it, but OBVIOUSLY Mordecai is so much more of a character then Kellam or Libra.

Troll thread or not, couldn't let that one go.

I could do the exact same sh!t for literally every character in Awakening and pull up 10 anime characters who even look like them with similar personaility..  Not to mention they don't even dig deep with their stereotypes, they are always the most very basic anime cliches.   Libra is typical girly boy, and Kellam is typical closed eye nerd (INB4 Oscar)

Mordacai/Lethe dynamic = More original and deep than every relationship in Awakening. 

Name one character on Awakening that has a deeper and more original deigsn that Naesala, Soren, Tormod, Devdan, Jill ect.  

All the characters in Awakening are one dimensional as phuck, and the writing suffers from the poor characterisation.   Almost everyone in Awakening are cookie cutter nice people, no dark antihero ish character like Soren and Naesala.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

Around the Network

While off-topic, I didn't have anything more to contribute in this thread, but looking at Fire Emblem sprite art I came across this...eh...thing.

Felt like sharing it.

ToraTiger said:

I could do the exact same sh!t for literally every character in Awakening and pull up 10 anime characters who even look like them with similar personaility..  Not to mention they don't even dig deep with their stereotypes, they are always the most very basic anime cliches.   Libra is typical girly boy, and Kellam is typical closed eye nerd (INB4 Oscar)

Lethe dynamic = More original and deep than every relationship in Awakening. 

Name one character on Awakening that has a deeper and more original deigsn that Naesala, Soren, Tormod, Devdan, Jill ect.  

All the characters in Awakening are one dimensional as phuck, and the writing suffers from the poor characterisation.   Almost everyone in Awakening are cookie cutter nice people, no dark antihero ish character like Soren and Naesala.

100% right on that.

I don't believe someone would post something about Lethe to compare her to characters in awakening...i mean, seriously ?

Characters in Awakening are probably the worst from any Fe, and it's the same for the story. It's really not the strong point in awakening, the gameplay/music/etc are somewhat better.

That's why i wait the next Fe, who will probably get a better story...and maybe decent characters.

Namiirei said:

Characters in Awakening are probably the worst from any Fe, and it's the same for the story.

Looks like someone didn't play this thing:

You have a somewhat compelling argument on your hands. Your fallacy is simply that you are turned off by the "anime" art style. Fire Emblem has always had a classic Japanese art style to it. Even Fire Emblem: Path or Radiance had it (phenomenal game btw, it was my first FE game). The interesting thing about Fire Emblems cut scenes is that it is a blend of both cel-shading and 3D. It's hard to call it one or the other as it is a unique blend of both that you can't really find else where. It adds a very special layer of depth to the visuals that really stands out and defines the cut scenes. Of course this is completely personal tastes but I love it!

I don't get how you see the whole marriage system as a "waifu" simulator, but you sure gave me a laugh and a smile. Thank you for that! :) I absolutely loved the whole "waifu sim" as you call it. It added a whole new gameplay mechanic to the series and honestly I have yet to see a game do it better. Getting characters married and then they have children who come back in time to help you. If they don't get married, well then I guess the children can't be born. Besides I freaking love Tharja! Her crazy insane obsession with me made her use some seriously messed up voodoo magic and then suddenly I had this crazy insane obsession with her! -_-

The Fire Emblem series is debatably Nintendo's darkest franchise. At least one of them, the games are incredibly mature in terms of subject matters. Not in the sense of blood and gore, but a different form of violence. The games are very political and heavily focused on geo-domination, conquest, and power. I liked how Awakening shaked things up and went back to the roots with Grima. While still having conquest with Walhart, though he does not come remotely close to Black Knight. Black Knight while not being a major villain, he was one of the series most formidable foes and a serious threat to Ike and the world he lived in.

The Fire Emblem series is phenomenal and Awakening in my opinion was easily one of the best and the story was without a doubt one of my favorites in video games. Plot has always been a strong point for the series and Awakening was no different. The plot twist blew me away, and I know it blew many other fans away as well! These games are quite dark and gritty at times and that is a huge part of it's universe.

Around the Network
Namiirei said:
ToraTiger said:

Lethe dynamic = More original and deep than every relationship in Awakening. 

100% right on that.

I don't believe someone would post something about Lethe to compare her to characters in awakening...i mean, seriously ?

Characters in Awakening are probably the worst from any Fe, and it's the same for the story. It's really not the strong point in awakening, the gameplay/music/etc are somewhat better.

That's why i wait the next Fe, who will probably get a better story...and maybe decent characters.

I agree, but I still think the art is otrocious.  Maybe if the characters and story are really good I'll bite, but ONLY then. 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

My point is that nearly EVERY freaking Fire Emblem cast is filled with one dimensional characters. Nothing about Awakening is at all different then what went on in Path of Radiance or as far back as the original Famicom games.

You have your stock turn coats like Jill and Henry who help humanize the enemy with their former relationships with other characters.

You have cheerful dumb muscle like Devdan and Gregor.

Young mages that try really hard to matter but kind of suck gameplay wise because of when you get them and how much you have invest getting them experience for a average reward like Tormod and Ricken.

Grumpy sticks in the mud that help lead the hot blooded main character like Soren or Frederick or depending on how you play him or her your avatar.

Can't really compare anyone in Awakening to Naesala, save maybe Aversa, but if you think the recruitable confident rogue forced into doing bad things is something that started with PoR you are woefully missing out on a number quality RPGs and SRPGs that were released before 2005.

Wright said:

While off-topic, I didn't have anything more to contribute in this thread, but looking at Fire Emblem sprite art I came across this...eh...thing.

Felt like sharing it.

Airaku said:
You have a somewhat compelling argument on your hands. Your fallacy is simply that you are turned off by the "anime" art style. Fire Emblem has always had a classic Japanese art style to it. Even Fire Emblem: Path or Radiance had it (phenomenal game btw, it was my first FE game). The interesting thing about Fire Emblems cut scenes is that it is a blend of both cel-shading and 3D. It's hard to call it one or the other as it is a unique blend of both that you can't really find else where. It adds a very special layer of depth to the visuals that really stands out and defines the cut scenes. Of course this is completely personal tastes but I love it!

I don't get how you see the whole marriage system as a "waifu" simulator, but you sure gave me a laugh and a smile. Thank you for that! :) I absolutely loved the whole "waifu sim" as you call it. It added a whole new gameplay mechanic to the series and honestly I have yet to see a game do it better. Getting characters married and then they have children who come back in time to help you. If they don't get married, well then I guess the children can't be born. Besides I freaking love Tharja! Her crazy insane obsession with me made her use some seriously messed up voodoo magic and then suddenly I had this crazy insane obsession with her! -_-

The Fire Emblem series is debatably Nintendo's darkest franchise. At least one of them, the games are incredibly mature in terms of subject matters. Not in the sense of blood and gore, but a different form of violence. The games are very political and heavily focused on geo-domination, conquest, and power. I liked how Awakening shaked things up and went back to the roots with Grima. While still having conquest with Walhart, though he does not come remotely close to Black Knight. Black Knight while not being a major villain, he was one of the series most formidable foes and a serious threat to Ike and the world he lived in.

The Fire Emblem series is phenomenal and Awakening in my opinion was easily one of the best and the story was without a doubt one of my favorites in video games. Plot has always been a strong point for the series and Awakening was no different. The plot twist blew me away, and I know it blew many other fans away as well! These games are quite dark and gritty at times and that is a huge part of it's universe.

It's more than the art style.  You see the older games while obviously japanese didn't look like the typical low budget anime shows you see now a days () Older FE art was considerably more realistic in how they draw the face and with the details.  In awakening there is almost no details, the characters are skinny as phuck and they're facial expressions are typical and pronounced.  e.i mad face, sad face, shy face, sexy face, bland face, ect.

On the topic of art style, compare the art on Path of Radiance, compare the cutscenes in both games to awakening and you will see what im talking about with the simplified anime kiddish art.

I like the marriage mechanic, but the conversations and were bland and the characters weren't very deep.  If they had this dynamic in Path of raidance I probably would have liked it, since that game had actually good deep characters that I liked. 

I agree about the maturity, but Awakening was basic and kiddy regardless of how dark it was.   In awakening the characters didnt even have conversations about the dead characters after they die like in POR (Get everyone killed in the first 4 chapters of POR and the whole tone of that part changes, freaking awesome) Also in awakening the characters usually dont even die or change the story they just "retreat" and remain in the  cutscenes just the same.  I loved the permadeath feature it made for some great outcomes in some chapters, but in awakening like that. 

I bet Tharja is into some weird kinky sh!t btw.   50 shades of Robin

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

Considering Awakening was my first FE, well...
But it is like Zelda, almost every new game there's a new artstyle.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile