By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem's new anime direction (RANT)

NoirSon said:
Don't get it, why is it that guys that played previous games couldn't see (especially in Fire Emblem of all the games) that the characters were almost ALWAYS anime/manga tropes and stereotypes?

They better presented then the actual Japanese fanservice games like what has become of Sega's Shining RPG Franchise, your typical visual novel/harem simulator and some other games but the games despite being able to present their characters in styles closer more high quality anime designs in game are basically no to different from what came before.

I mean there is like ONE Fire Emblem game in the whole series that had a deeply dramatic plot twist and that one was never released outside of Japan. Most games are fairly similar fantasy war stories about invasions, magic and sometimes fake geopolitical strife that mirrors real world issues. You can say you are playing it for the characters which are sometimes memorable but if you are looking for dramatic story with twists and turns comparable to the best literature then you are playing the wrong franchise. Heck probably the wrong genre given outside of a few exceptions how often SRPGs go back to a similar well.

As far as the talk of dual strikes and the pair up, it could use some work but it presented a good reason to have multiple characters around one another in strategic placements as well as allowed two characters to get experience for one kill which is welcome given how limited supplies and battles can be in certain Fire Emblem games. Not so much in Awakening due to DLC and the world map with roaming encounters but it helps with leveling and I am for better or worst a grinder at heart.

In any case, my rant to your rant, neither matter in the long run, the franchise is making money and money trumps rants every time.

No they weren't, and they definietly didn't look like anime stereotypes, like in Awakening where lacked creative and memorablity, also the characters in POR were all well deisned and written, some of which come to mind is Lethe, Ranulf, Mordecai and Mia.  Now all the characters just seem like something you can find on any anime/anime inspired game out there.  There is literally like 2 characters in awakening that stood out for me

Also of course money trumps all with a company, and that is partially why Awakening was more successful than other games in the series, but Nintendo sales are at an all time low considering how many core gamerrs there are, and I doubt they will be getting any better any time soon with the way they change some franchise completely, milk others, and neglect the ones that have the most room for experimentation.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

Around the Network
justiceiro said:
A thing that i love about this thread:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=196666
"2. Choice in characters is also weak: Is there any reason to have 3 Kid Icarus and 4 Fire Emblem characters? No one cares that much for those games. =/. "

Oh, the irony...

If nintendo tries to put more character from the series on upfront, its a waste, but if they change the character on that same game, its "wrong". Nintendo can't really win. Ever.

Strong life bro.  And you're completely missing my points.  

1.) In Smash the characters of Lucina and Robin are weak, due to A. FE isn't popular enough to warrant 4 characters, B.) Lucina and Robin aren't interesting enough in their own game and C. Lucina is a carbon copy of Marth with nothing added but the sword mechanic.  Honestly Ike should have been cut if they were going to add an Awakening Character.  Who needs 4 FE characters in smash?!

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

Xxain said:
I am plaining on having a thread up later about how anime in general is lowering quality Japanese games. Im sick of overly anime junk in Japanese games. Sick of it.

I completely agree.  I wasn't always like this, now its becoming to fuking common.  
Link me to said thread when you make it, I will support it srs.  

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

Wright said:

I miss the pixelated glory of the GBA games, that's for sure. But I take Awakening's art style 10000 thousand times over Shadow Dragon's art style.

Fair enough

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

alternine said:
Ka-pi96 said:
alternine said:
Johnw1104 said:

Art direction/story can certainly be a turnoff. That's one of the things that turned me off to Final Fantasy... I knew I'd reached the end of my FF career during FF X when I found myself turning the TV screen off during certain cutscenes as the thought of my father seeing it embarrassed the heck out of me.

That seemingly endless scene with Tidus and Yuna playing around in some lake at night with some corny romance song going in the background... That was my limit.

Thankfully Fire Emblem's changes have not yet been nearly so dramatic and they're still great games, but I've been wary ever since ffx lol

Btw, I don't mean to offend anyone who likes the path FF has gone down... If that's your thing then great! The transitions from the sprites and less linear gameplay of NES/SNES to whatever you call FFX on was a bit much for me (though FFXI was fun :D)

So off topic... My bad.

Welp now you made me feel bad for liking that FFX scene. Thanks a lot.

Don't feel bad, that was a beautiful scene. If some people don't like it well that's just their loss.

Lol nah I wasnt being serious. Its ok if he doesnt like it.

To be clear I thought Yuna was a great character and liked seeing her let her guard down whilst bearing the weight of the world on her shoulders... Seeing her finally allow herself to feel and explore was certainly moving... I guess I just would have preferred a quicker, intimate, slightly more realistic moment rather than that strange (in my opinion), drawn out (a growing FF trend at that point) scene. It just didn't appeal to me but, as we've all said, it's just a preference.

I'll readily admit the cinematography gets an A+ and I did love most of the music in that game. I suppose, in the end, I prefer quality dialogue and emotional subtlety, and FF has seemingly gone in another direction.

Around the Network

Look on the bright side OP, it's not as bad as the SMT series. They went from this:

To this:

Mirson said:

Look on the bright side OP, it's not as bad as the SMT series. They went from this:

To this:

...yikes

ToraTiger said:

Strong life bro.  And you're completely missing my points.  

1.) In Smash the characters of Lucina and Robin are weak, due to A. FE isn't popular enough to warrant 4 characters, B.) Lucina and Robin aren't interesting enough in their own game and C. Lucina is a carbon copy of Marth with nothing added but the sword mechanic.  Honestly Ike should have been cut if they were going to add an Awakening Character.  Who needs 4 FE characters in smash?!

Awakening's sales contradict your first point, Lucina has to be used in a different way to Marth I suggest anyone with such a view understand fully the concept of Ken and Ryu.

Sounds like you are having problems with a japanese game beeing japanese.

I didnt notice any problems at all. I am super excited for both games.

I'm really enjoying it.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread