By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will we see a digital-only console option next gen?

Will we see a digital-only console next gen?

Yes. It will be possible soon enough. 15 16.30%

Yes, but only if we still... 15 16.30%

Only if they use a good s... 14 15.22%

No. The market is not ready for that. 43 46.74%

Results. 5 5.43%

Total:92

Definitely possible, and even likely, but I wouldn't want one like this...

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
teigaga said:
This gen is possible.

The question is whether removing the Bluray drive offers a big enough cost reduction. Would it even equate to $50? At this point in Bluray's life I doubt its really that expensive.

i did a quick amazon search and i can find a lot of blu ray players in the $30 to $40 range.   ...so no it wouldn't be even $50 worth.  like i said in my post above this,.. a discless sku wouldn't cost less.  at best they would roll those couple of bucks of savings into a larger harddrive but that, imo, has a lot of value to the digital only consumer like myself.

But it's not only the cost of the drive itself.

Without a Bluray drive neither MSoft nor Sony will have to pay royalties for its movie player capabilities, plus the console itself can be a lot smaller, making it cheaper to produce and to ship from China to the rest of the world.

Because of that, the disc-less console could be those $50 cheaper, or even a bit more.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.