By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it just me, or was Overlord a rip off of Pikmin?

Overlord: http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6823

Pikmin: http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=1739

When my friend convinced me to try overlord, I had never heard of it. After playing it for about 10 minutes, I realized it was arip off of Pikmin, with even similar controlls! The basic point of things was the same, despite a different storyline. Did anybody else play the two and think so?

(BTW: I enjoyed Pikmin much better, as well as Pikmin 2) 

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

Yah I felt exactly the same when my friend bought Overlord for his 360. I played it for 5 minutes and realized it was exactly the same as Pikmin, except imo not as good. I enjoyed the art style and story of Pikmin more than Overlord. The deciding factor is that i'd rather collect ship parts on an alien world than use gremlins to kill little halflings that are a quarter of your size just for treasure...

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

It is so obvious. I was watching some friends play and it was such an obvious ripoff. It was pikmin but with a sauron character model and a imps/ogres.

I pointed it out to them that it was basically pikmin and they ripped pikmin saying it was stupid and kiddy. I just shook my head and noticed how their entire 360 game collection basically was Halos, GoW, CoD, Bioshock, etc etc. No wonder there's a stereotype for 360 gamers...

Overlord is not a rip off of Pikmin, it is another title presented in a similar format of fun gameplay.

If it weren't allowed for more games to follow successful gameplay formats then good games would be few and far between!

^But it's EXACTLY the same!
There is almost no difference from what you have too do (Basic controls)

Around the Network

Every FPS is also the same but no one complains if Call of Duty 4 has the same gameplay as Halo 3 or any FPS before that. The point I am trying to make is that if a particular gameplay formula or format belongs exclusively to the franchise that started it we are going to have very few franchises and then you will put up a thread complaining about that.

You should know by now that everyone copies Nintendo. (sarcasm)

call of Duty 4 have different buttons for different things. Each game has something unique about it. The only similarity is that they are both FPS. Have you played these two games? They are essentially the same game!

All FPS are the same? So you're saying I can run around and do running headshots with a sniper in UT so I should be able to do the same with a scout in CS? Are you retarded, the game physics are different, it's like comparing KOF 96 and KOF 98 the physics of the games are different(even though the sprites are the same). Not to mention weapons are different, COD4 allows you to choose different skills compared to other FPS. However with Overlord and Pikmin I have to agree it's the same. They have the exact same types of Pikmin as well. There's the ones that can walk on fire, ones that can be in water, etc etc.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

The difference is that FPS are a dime a dozen now. Certain genre's have become so prevalent that they don't stand out anymore.

The pikmin gameplay genre is still new and so overlord's copy is very obvious. Once there's more games like it out then its more of, "oh another team based game", as opposed to right now its more of, "oh its a pikmin clone".