By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Morpheus offer asymmetric multiplayer on PS4?

So rendering one image to the television, another to Morpheus?

Around the Network

Supposing that the game isn't visually demanding, or that the screen displayed on the TV is simple, why not?

It all depends on the following. The image sent to Morpheus has to be at 1080p@60fps (interpolated to 120 using temporal reprojection). That still allows some sweet visuals, just looking at some 1080p@60 games on PS4 like MGS V, Metro LL and 2033, CoD AW and all the fighting games. Big problem here is pumping a different 1080p screen, but if you do some compromises in visual quality, it seems feasible.

torok said:

Supposing that the game isn't visually demanding, or that the screen displayed on the TV is simple, why not?

It all depends on the following. The image sent to Morpheus has to be at 1080p@60fps (interpolated to 120 using temporal reprojection). That still allows some sweet visuals, just looking at some 1080p@60 games on PS4 like MGS V, Metro LL and 2033, CoD AW and all the fighting games. Big problem here is pumping a different 1080p screen, but if you do some compromises in visual quality, it seems feasible.

Cool, thanks. Yeah as long as its possible I don't think power should be too much of an issue, provided developers are actually interested in delivering an asymetric experience they could easily sacrifice poly counts and effects and instead look for a nice artstyle, resolution aside we saw some very polished experiences on Wii that wouldn't be an eye saw if applied to VR. Off the top of my head I was thinking a Mini game collection, so graphics wouldn't have to be intensive at all. Presumably the PS4 could 2x output a game of Mario Galaxy's graphics, much higher AA, sutable texture resolution, 1080p 60fps (probably even native 120fps for the morpheus stream)

So morpheus could actually offer some interesting social couch experience and not just single player games. Hopefully someone plays around with this. Hopefully the quality and variety of VR games we get aren't limited simply by the desires for devs to push out AAA detail graphics. I've used oculus before and the demo a much worse graphics then the above MG screen but I was still floored by the experience.

teigaga said:

So rendering one image to the television, another the Morpheus?

i could be wrong but...

...morpheus always sends one image to the tv and another to the headset but they are always the "same" image.   aka the image sent to the tv is more like the screen sharing between ps4 and vita's remote play than say like,. split screen multiplayer.    ..at least by default.

teigaga said:

You can't see the TV... so what your point?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
teigaga said:

You can't see the TV... so what your point?

Multiplayer -_-

Think WiiU but with Morpheus instead of Gamepad

kitler53 said:
teigaga said:

i could be wrong but...

...morpheus always sends one image to the tv and another to the headset but they are always the "same" image.   aka the image sent to the tv is more like the screen sharing between ps4 and vita's remote play than say like,. split screen multiplayer.    ..at least by default.

Hmm, if that is the case I would hope developers are given the power to overide that automatic stream.