By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Q3 Profit Higher Than Estimated

EDIT: I think I've put it in the wrong forum :(

Japanese consumer electronics maker Sony said on Tuesday its official third-quarter operating profit was 182 billion yen ($1.5 billion), up 2.2 percent from the estimate it reported last month, boosted by cost cuts and strong sales of sensors and video games.

The earlier estimate wasn’t final, as Sony had not yet compiled accurate data for its Hollywood movie studio after a massive hack into its computer systems. On Feb. 4 Sony said third-quarter operating profit was about 178 billion yen, nearly double the year-earlier period.

On Tuesday, Sony said that including official results for the movie studio, quarterly revenue rose 6.5 percent from a year earlier to 2.567 trillion yen, instead of the 2.558 trillion it estimated earlier.

Forecasts for the full year ending March 31 were unchanged.

Sony has struggled to gain market share in high-end smartphones, lagging far behind Apple and Samsung.

But its shares have risen more than 30 percent so far this year on hopes of a turnaround, following a program of massive cuts in unprofitable segments and targeted expansion in lucrative areas such as sensors for smartphone cameras.

($1 = 121.3800 yen)

http://recode.net/2015/03/17/sony-q3-profit-higher-than-estimated/

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

So, who is doomed beyond hope ?

Very good news. This should be under Sony discussion. Can mods move it?

B-B-But Sony is doomed and going out of business

Congrats Sony.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

We are close to end year numbers, let's see what it will look like.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
We are close to end year numbers, let's see what it will look like.

I think it will be an over all substantial loss, due to write downs, but a decent operating profit. That is to say largely unchanged from earlier estimates. A nice boost from gaming right in the final 2 weeks of the year.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

kowenicki said:
daredevil.shark said:

Very good news. This should be under Sony discussion. Can mods move it?

lol. its virtually unchanged from the actual quarter release...

Ok dude Sony is still in a very bad shape, we get that, and we also get that u don't like Sony.

Add me if u want :)

KAZ THE SAVIOR!

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Such very good news! I'm humbled

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...