By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Nintendo Platform Teased at Conference, "NX"

The trouble is that what third parties want is diametrically opposed to Nintendo's strategy. They would have to make a console which is loss-leading, or terribly expensive.

And that's ignoring the problem that third parties have with Nintendo's very philosophy. Nintendo rebuilt the game industry by having manufacturer-led platforms to guarantee quality and drive sales from exclusive killer apps. The PlayStation epoch, that developers enjoy, homogenizes and standardizes and lets the third parties lead the way generally.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
DanneSandin said:
Materia-Blade said:

Simple: Keeping both a handheld and a home console, each with it's own unique games (and the rare cross platform like smash bros). Unified architeture + already having HD development know how allows them to develop games much faster than the 8th gen.

Yes, exactly. That was kind of my point. But the next question then is, what does Nintendo need to do to sell their home console? Will simply MORE Nintendo games be enough? Or will they have to do something else? Like I've argued in this thread, Nintendo needs to get 3rd parties onboard their next home console, AND the ordinary gamers. They can't thrive on Nintendo fans alone any more.

Having one or two huge titles at launch helps, like 3d mario/mario kart/zelda. this creates a larger initial installed base and can be enough for 3rd parties that aren't unprofessional (but I wouldn't count on it).

Yes it would most certainly help, but that doesnt guarantee 3rd party support. Nintendo needs to butter them up NOW since it takes 2 years to make a game. They need 3rd party support from the get go, not 2 years after launch, which would be the case in your scenario.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Mr Khan said:
The trouble is that what third parties want is diametrically opposed to Nintendo's strategy. They would have to make a console which is loss-leading, or terribly expensive.

And that's ignoring the problem that third parties have with Nintendo's very philosophy. Nintendo rebuilt the game industry by having manufacturer-led platforms to guarantee quality and drive sales from exclusive killer apps. The PlayStation epoch, that developers enjoy, homogenizes and standardizes and lets the third parties lead the way generally.

And which epoch is the most profitable? Which epoch has sold the most HW and SW? Which epoch is the most diverse? 

When the industry changes and moves on, shouldnt Nintendo do the same?  Im not saying copy Sony and MS,  by all means, find your OWN path, but certain things cant be ignored any more. Archaic infrastructure, lacking online features, Nintendo is lagging behind in quite a few areas and gamers have noticed and arent all that interested as a result

DanneSandin said:
Materia-Blade said:

Having one or two huge titles at launch helps, like 3d mario/mario kart/zelda. this creates a larger initial installed base and can be enough for 3rd parties that aren't unprofessional (but I wouldn't count on it).

Yes it would most certainly help, but that doesnt guarantee 3rd party support. Nintendo needs to butter them up NOW since it takes 2 years to make a game. They need 3rd party support from the get go, not 2 years after launch, which would be the case in your scenario.

But there is nothing fair that nintendo can do to get third party support. they can't pay for multiplats like others do, it's terrible business policy.

Mr Khan said:

How exactly is nintendo restricting 3rd parties now? you are mentioning a problem from 20+ years ago.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
DanneSandin said:

But there is nothing fair that nintendo can do to get third party support. they can't pay for multiplats like others do, it's terrible business policy.

Fair? Theyll have to do what they have to do. If they have to pay the ports thats what theyll do. Maybe "hire" Crytek or someone else to create mature games

DanneSandin said:
Materia-Blade said:

Fair? Theyll have to do what they have to do. If they have to pay the ports thats what theyll do. Maybe "hire" Crytek or someone else to create mature games

No, they won't. Paying for what should be free is a terrible business decision.

Materia-Blade said:
DanneSandin said:

No, they won't. Paying for what should be free is a terrible business decision.

Nothing is free. What Nintendo needs to do now is to gain back the trust of both 3rd parties and gamers alike, but for differnt kind of reasons. 3rd parties must feel like their games can sell on Nintendo consoles, and gamers have to feel that there are games on Nintendo consoles for THEM. These two peoblems goes hand in hand.

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

And which epoch is the most profitable? Which epoch has sold the most HW and SW? Which epoch is the most diverse? 

When the industry changes and moves on, shouldnt Nintendo do the same?  Im not saying copy Sony and MS,  by all means, find your OWN path, but certain things cant be ignored any more. Archaic infrastructure, lacking online features, Nintendo is lagging behind in quite a few areas and gamers have noticed and arent all that interested as a result

Nintendo's times of dominance mark the most profitable eras in video game history and at the end of they day, profitability is the only measure that matters of the ones you mentioned. Therefore the way to go for Nintendo is to not listen to third parties.

Im talking INDUSTRY epoch, not Nintendo epoch. Nowadays gaming is bigger than movies and music combined. They werent back then.  Owadays there are far mpre options for people to choose from; both regarding consoles and sw. There are mlre genres now. There are more consoles. Everything is better in todays industry than they were in 1990

It is probably 3DS succesor. In 2016 it will be end of 3ds generation.

also there is few hints already:

1) Sharp FreeForm Screens for nintendo in 2016
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/7406585/nintendo-said-to-use-sharp-free-form-displays
2.) New Amd Apu for nintendo in 2016
http://wiiudaily.com/2014/12/amd-hints-at-new-processor-architecture-for-game-console-in-2016/
3) Amd also plan to release new mobile architecture in 2016 - Project Skybridge (apu with AMD x86 or AMD ARM Cores)and Amd Zen Apu's (new mobile apu, probably with HBM memory on die)

AMD Skybridge (2016) http://www.pcworld.com/article/2150775/amd-announces-skybridge-chips-to-bring-together-x86-and-arm.html
AMD Zen (2016) http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-architecture-asus/

Probably 1st presentation at E3 2016, Launch on december 2016 before holidays.