By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bring back the tiered pricing and Multiple HDD

So there seems to be a lot of talk on here about sony cutting the price of the ps4 all the way down to $299.  

We also know that sony desperatly needs the PS4 to make them a ton of money which can be a delicate ballancing act.  I think they can and probably should get down to this price point in the not to far off future.  

I think the best way to get there is a $299 500gb and a $349 1tb and possibly a $399 2tb with the 2TB being a iffy option.  Personally imho the 1TB would probably sell almost as much as the $500gb option and would give a real option to those who want a bigger hdd but don't want to modify thier system.

Also as a side note make the MGS 5 bundle a 1 or 2tb option maybe a 2tb and do a limited run.  That would probably sell as well as a halo bundle almost.

Around the Network

no keep it at 500 gb only. less variation equals less manufacturing costs and distribution costs.

those who want more than 500gb can install there own hard drive. really the ps4 should of came with 1 tb standard though.

i have bf4 and a few free ps plus games and i only have 100gb left.

The PS4 doesn't need to be $299 anytime soon.

Also no more than 2 SKUs, a third options is just unnecessarily complicating store shelves

Preferably they'll replace all 500GB models with 1TB model, still cut price but by no more then $50.

It's still selling really well so I don't really see why they would want to drop the price so soon

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

teigaga said:

Also no more than 2 SKUs, a third options is just unnecessarily complicating store shelves

Preferably they'll replace all 500GB models with 1TB model, still cut price but by no more then $50.

I'm mainly for this Idea the 2 tb would just be a limited run for MGS 5 and be done kind of like xbox cod last year.

The $350 1tb only seems great but I wouldn't be against the 299 option at the same time, and then they wouldn't have to lower the price for 2 or 3 more years.

Around the Network

I disagree. The tiered SKUs last gen were born out of necessity, I cannot imagine sticking with a 20-40GB HDD. 500GB will be fine for many consumers, and those that want more can buy 1TB or 2TB drives.

Sony's goal should be single SKU with appealing entry price. A $299 500Gb PS4 would fly off the shelf this holiday.

I think sony should just make ps4 $350with a game 500gb!

Brun2003 said:
teigaga said:

I'm mainly for this Idea the 2 tb would just be a limited run for MGS 5 and be done kind of like xbox cod last year.

The $350 1tb only seems great but I wouldn't be against the 299 option at the same time, and then they wouldn't have to lower the price for 2 or 3 more years.

Yeah 2TB Limited editions consoles would be nice.  in regard to $299, It'd  of course be a console mover but I'd say it gives them more power to keep the value peception of the PS4 high, its been more expensive than the Xbox since september. They shouldn't panic and try and match MS as they've been winning thus far. Even if fall comes and they don't have a big AAA replacement for Uncharted 4, temporary deals and bundles would better serve them  financially over an official price cut. When the holiday is over sony will likely have the dominant software presence again, just like they did this year. Save $299 for 2016 IMO.

Or they could let us use our own drives and not be whores about it

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I've been complaining about HDD space even before the PS4 launched...

I'm surprised/upset that Sony hasn't followed MS/Ninty route to atleast enabling external HDD storage, hopefully it does when 2.50 goes live