By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I just realized that ps4 is 1/4th of the ps3 userbase

Already!

For the past week since the announcement of 20m, I've been like, "eh that's ok, but I hope it continues"

But it just hit me today as I was thinking about install base and Bloodborne sales...thinking they can't possibly reach sales the others did because of a much lower install base than ps3. But then it hit me. It's a fourth of the sales in 16 months, and likely a majority of the users (early-movers) are the ps core audience.

Have you noticed this too? Am I just really slow?

Around the Network

Agreed. Back in 2006 PS3 was cheap blu ray player later exclusive box. Now PS4 is back in main stream.

It is pretty crazy. PS3 only reached 19m by the end of its 2nd full year. That another HOLIDAY season in addition to all the months between now and November. Pretty darn crazy. When you look at how far ahead it is the only way you can say PS4 won't reach 100m is if you think this gen will be much shorter but with how much has been invested in these systems and how much 3rd parties hate leaving install bases behind that may not be the case.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Never clicked with me either, sales are gonna really pick up when it gets its price drop and big blockbuster exclusives, only going up from here.

By this time next year it should be about half. Now THAT would be crazy

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

They PS3 will be the only Sony console that won't sell past 100m

This is why I'm glad ps3 still gets a ton of games. Let these players upgrade at their own pace because if you cut ps3 support at ps4 launch you just have a massive clusterfuck where supply can't meet demand. I'd be happy with ps3 getting a decent number of games up to 2017 and you know what it will.

That is interesting. The current install base also buys a ton of games. Even back when the PS3 was at 30 million it was not moving software like this.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

platformmaster918 said:
It is pretty crazy. PS3 only reached 19m by the end of its 2nd full year. That another HOLIDAY season in addition to all the months between now and November. Pretty darn crazy. When you look at how far ahead it is the only way you can say PS4 won't reach 100m is if you think this gen will be much shorter but with how much has been invested in these systems and how much 3rd parties hate leaving install bases behind that may not be the case.

imho a PS5 should be backwards compatible and very easy to develop your game for both platforms because of same architecture. so a shorter gen would not be too bad for publishers in this case.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

SjOne said:

They PS3 will be the only Sony console that won't sell past 100m

Pretty sad it really deserved it