By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Alright, lets get this straight about FFXV.

the_dengle said:
Ssliasil said:

I dunno, I guess i just got good at dodging stuff.

My primary build was An Uchigatana / Chaos Blade build.   With a good shield naturally.

There's only one good shield in the game, everything else is irrelevant when the Grass Crest exists.

You haven't answered like half of my questions. Did you use items? Did you use the Pyromancy Flame? If you were so good at dodging stuff, why bother with a shield at all? Just equip the Grass Crest and two-hand the whole game.

Of course I used items dude.  No I didnt use the Pyromancers Flame (I started hating it after it started being abused in PVP...well spells in general) 

Though I only used items to heal, hardly ever used dung bombs or whatever lol.  And healing was very occassional at that. 

Also, I never said I only dodged ;)...Plus shield are kinda badass in the game...Black Knight Shield + Glass Crest = love anyone? 

...uhh...ill just put my favorite quote of all time here.

"Welcome to Pain, the second of three...You have dealt the first...now deal with me!!"

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:

Woh!  Wait a second Demon's Souls is not just 2 buttons at all!  It is more like 6 and is the deepest sword fighter in existence!  By far the most strategic sword fighting game!

yeah i wanted to comment aswell just to clean that up, Demons Souls isnt just a 1 button for attack and one for defend its actually 2 for each, 1 for normal attack and one for heavy attack, and the attack varies depending in player vs enemy position and it also varies in the characters movement (running, rolling and standing) add to that the fact that you can double hand every weapon to get a different set of attacks for every weapon at anytime, Plus the ability to guard and parry... the game is NOT a button masher... HECK it wouldnt be a hard game if all you had to do is mash buttons, it actually has the most indepth sword combat mechanics ive seen in any game.

Demons Souls (and the soul series in general) are ACTION RPGS with a LOT of strategy in the combat department, they are not hack and slash games.

to the OP: i also think that Action RPGs do have a lot strategy behind them (like the tales games, or the soul series) its not just mashing buttons, it has a lot of strategy and quick thinking, those who say that its just mashing buttons dont know the ammount of mind games going on in this games its all about preparing yourself,thinking ahead of youre oponent and outmatching him.

also i can understand that some people prefer turn based combat to real time combat, but saying there isnt strategy behind ARPGs or that they are just button mashers is a lie.

Ssliasil said:
Captain_Tom said:
Ssliasil said:

Im starting to get really really really annoyed at these Nastalgic Crazed Purist Lunatic FF fans that are afraid of the smallest and simplest changes...so im just going to copy/paste what I wrote in another topic a moment ago and make a new topic for myself. 

Turn based games = Wait 20 seconds to make an attack, while you're getting your ass beat...oh and cure/buff occassionally...sorta strategic. (99% of all JRPG in existance)

Hack and Slash = run around mashing Square Triangle Triangle Square, L1, LEFT CLICK!!!! in every H&S ever.  (Diablo, Path of Exile, etc)

Action = Hack and slash with more bodily control, movement is far more important but combat is usually dumbed down to two buttons - Block and Attack.  (The Elder Scrolls, Dark and Demon Souls etc)

Hybrid = Final Fantasy XV.  You have the strategic values of traditional JRPG Turn Based games, but instead of standing still like a jackass you CAN ACTUALLY MOVE FREELY.   You have the same exact menu as almost ever FF game to date...Attack, Magic, Summon, Items...you select which one you want to use and when...you have HP and MP and everything else.

THE ONLY DAMN DIFFERENCE is that you can ACTUALLY MOVE AROUND...LE GASP!

Woh!  Wait a second Demon's Souls is not just 2 buttons at all!  It is more like 6 and is the deepest sword fighter in existence!  By far the most strategic sword fighting game!

Lol ill give ya Demons Souls, it was certainly more involved than the Dark Souls Series. 

Well I do indeed like Demon's Souls more than Dark Souls, but mechanically they are the same.  Actually I would argue the combat in Dark Souls is MORE complicated (Though only by a little).

Ssliasil said:

Im starting to get really really really annoyed at these Nastalgic Crazed Purist Lunatic FF fans that are afraid of the smallest and simplest changes...

Same

PS4 Game Collection

FF XV is the most original game ever

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

I am angered by the fact that FF XV is not a traditional turn-based game, as those game clearly invovled more strategy.

There has never been an instance in classic turn-based RPGs (Pokemon, FF, etc.) where I just instinctively picked strongest attack and stomped my randomly generated opponent. Even less so repeating the same process for mindless grind. Those games demanded TRUE thought process and thinking. 

Yep, awful these fanatics. They even pretended as if not every FF before FFXIII was very linear in the first 30h of gameplay.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I for one would prefer to have a turn based system, but the combat is only one of a great many reasons that I am not interested at all in final fantasy xv...