By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Shouldn't the PS3 be soon getting a price cut? Will it matter?

It will definitely keep the PS3 going for some more years and the lower pricetag will appeal to consumers in less developed countries. Will it get a boost in Japan, Europe, and US? Yes, but it'll be marginal.

Around the Network

A price cut would move more units, but not enough to get 100 million sales

could of broke 100m by now it they went below 200 yrs ago last price cut was 2012 and the 12gb modle that released 2013 is still at 200

i think it would do damage if a HDD equipped ps3 was 150 but i dont see that happening anytime soon

Play Me

It would certainly help extend the console's legs.

It would be nice if they did. If I could get one with a decent hard drive for under $200 I would be way more likely to buy it, but as it is I'll probably continue to pass. I've been toying with the idea of getting one for a few years, and at this point I'm waiting for a deal that really jumps out at me.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network

Yeah this thing needs to be $100. They will probably need to remove the BluRay drive to do it, but a 250GB micro-PS3 with no disc drive would sell well I think.

Wright said:

It will make a difference with me because I've been wanting one for a while now, but no way I'm paying more than 100 euros...

No way you'll ever buy a new one for 100 euros lol.

no, the PS3 parts (esp. Cell and XDR ram) are expensive to make and they won't get cheaper, because research for it has very likely been stopped (no further shrinks) - they will actually become more expensive as the quantities produced are lower and lower meaning the price per part/unit rises

Definitely! Look how much the sales improved on amazon's best sellers/npd thanks to a small price cut!

Drop to 199 dollar at minimum and the sales will be better.

Jared_Die said:
Yeah this thing needs to be $100. They will probably need to remove the BluRay drive to do it, but a 250GB micro-PS3 with no disc drive would sell well I think.

No disc drive is a good idea but they'd need a 500GB HDD minimum.