By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Shovel Knight took one day to port to the Xbox One

So reading this artice it stated that Shovel knight was ported to the XB1 in one day while adding cross platform play with Windows 10. 

http://rectifygaming.com/shovel-knight-took-one-day-to-port-to-the-xbox-one-with-cross-platform-play-features-battletoads-characters/

My question is this, Since most Indies appear on PC first, will this make it easier for smaller companies to release an XB1 version simultaneously with a PC release. 

This would allow them to enter more markets, and create more games where XB1, and PC gamers compete day one. If only this was considered cross buy across the 2 it would be a serious homerun for Microsoft.

On another note, why do most Indie games have such a crushingly hard difficulty ? Sometimes it's not even fun to play, I got tired of Volgarr kinda quick. My perfect Indie so far has been Guacamelee, followed by Transistor, Apotheon, and Max: The curse of Brotherhood.

Around the Network

I'm skeptical about that...

I really hope that this does well and not only the hardcore but the casual buy it(Im looking at you cod and gta only players)

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Microsoft doesn't want anybody's sloppy seconds or dirty thirds

Well keep in mind Shovel Knight is pretty simple. Indies like this that use these kinds of graphics don't have to worry about most of the problems others do, especially optimization which can take a while to work out.

Around the Network

The issue isn't the ease in which indie games can be ported but the contracts and logistics behind bringing these games to other platforms.

A lot games could be easily ported to X or Y console if they didn't have restrictions, but developers want to make an event out of the release. Take that as you will, but it has been a successful method to insure they have enough coverage and a successful launch.

.- -... -.-. -..

If it is that easy for all games then it could be big for ms. A company could theoretically put there game on 3 platforms very quickly and cheaply. But thats if its that easy

It took a whole day to port this game from Windows 8 to Windows 8?

This is great and due mostly in part to the fact that current gen consoles use x86/64. In other words, the PS4 and Xbox One ARE PCs. I can't stress this enough. Anyway, how does Live play into this.

Basically, if crossplay still requires a live subscription on Xbox One, will we see Xbox gamers push for uncoupling of online play and yearly charges? And since PC gamers will not submit to subscriptions, will Microsoft be compelled to comply?