By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Replaying Metal Gear Solid 2 - a masterpiece or a trainwreck?

Tagged games:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

A timeless gem. 29 31.52%

Truly a great game. 16 17.39%

A very good game. 17 18.48%

An okay game. 9 9.78%

Meh. 4 4.35%

This game is bad. 2 2.17%

This game is very bad. 0 0%

This shit almost destroye... 3 3.26%

You can put your post-mod... 3 3.26%

Show me the results! 9 9.78%

Total:92
m0ney said:

- One of the worst if not the worst controls I have seen, simply terrible.

I'll add this to the overall problems, though I personally never had any trouble with them. The fact that they added the aiming system pressing the analog stick instead of the sensitive square button of the PS2 controller made everything much better to me; but I can understand why those tank controls can lead to extreme frustration.

Around the Network

I really liked the game. Not playing as Snake was a bummer, but the game was fun. I'm replay it on my Vita soon.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

d21lewis said:
Playing the Vita version as we speak. Touch controls suck but the game is still great.

If I remember correctly you can change the controls. You don't need to use the touch controls.

OT: Amazing game. I disliked how it complicated the story and I thought that the bosses were a lot worse than 1 and 3, but I still really like the game. 1 and 3 are my favorite 2 games because their plots aren't as crazy as 2 and 4.

Good game with a mess of a plot that was needlessly convoluted. I dunno why people think having a complex hard to follow story makes the story itself good. Some other Japanese games have also horribly written stories like Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, FFXIII and other rpgs etc. Bioshock Infinite also had hipsters trying to outdo each other with ridiculous timeline charts.

Why do people think a narrative is good simply because it's complex? Why is convoluted nonsense mistaken for depth?

Turkish said:
Good game with a mess of a plot that was needlessly convoluted. I dunno why people think having a complex hard to follow story makes the story itself good. Some other Japanese games have also horribly written stories like Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, FFXIII and other rpgs etc. Bioshock Infinite also had hipsters trying to outdo each other with ridiculous timeline charts.

Why do people think a narrative is good simply because it's complex? Why is convoluted nonsense mistaken for depth?

What was the nonsense in Metal Gear Solid 2? Convoluted, yeah, but almost everything made sense at the end, and the unanswered questions were left to the player until MGS3/4 retconnected them.

It's not hard to follow. Is just that you cannot expect the game to chew everything at the start. That's like playing a detective game where you bash the story for not knowing who the killer is before the final showdown.

Around the Network

this is why its one of the best games ever made

View on YouTube

Ruler said:

When Rose gets angry at Raiden and she refuses saving the game...that moment is priceless xD

A Master Piece until the effects of the LSD Kojima was on started taking hold.

Masterpiece....
Had some of the best boss battles ever.

The tanker was a great set piece.

Naked Raiden was overblown in the gaming community.

Well worth a few play through.

Wright said:
Ruler said:

When Rose gets angry at Raiden and she refuses saving the game...that moment is priceless xD

and when Snake makes his fap face.

.- -... -.-. -..