By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Help me answer the question whether videogames cause violence

No it doesn't. If anything it prevents or reduces it.

The media conveniently just points at that copy of COD or GTA in the room of the next psycho school shooter but ignore the movie tickets or maybe even pirate copies for movies like John wick or any other mindlessly violent movie you can think of.

Movies stand to be always more likely to breed violence than games as with games there is always that visual disconnect with them never quite looking real.

Around the Network

All i can say is that i have killed millions of digital beings at this point and i have never hurt or even considered hurting a real person.

Psychotic said:

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of writing a bachelor's thesis on "The effect of violence in the media on human psyché" with focus on videogames.

I'd be gerateful for some relevant sourced info about this.

As things stand, I'm basically ready to conclude that videogames and other media do indeed cause real-life violence to some unspecified extent.

Thanks in advance.

I've been playing violent video games since I was 5, and watching violent cartoons like Popeye, and Coyote Vs Roadrunner etc. Do I go out to start fights, shoot, and blow up people with dynamites? Nope. It never crossed my mind. My parents raised me well. I remember watching Rambo when I was 6... lol

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
melbye said:
All i can say is that i have killed millions of digital beings at this point and i have never hurt or even considered hurting a real person.

Whenever I play as a dick in video game's like Fallout 3 I feel bad for the things I do. If anything playing these games has sensitized me to violence as I feel good for doing the good things and bad for doing the bad things.

I believe it come's down to the person playing the game and not the game itself.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

They don't. End of discussion.

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

Around the Network

It depends on the researcher to be honest, if a researcher is out to prove a point they normally work the numbers to suit their point. So what you have to do is find research that suits your point of view. I found bing is better for finding this kind of information

old skool

well i wanna punch my brother in his stupid face every time we play Mariokart DD... but i dont do it because he is lot bigger than me...

ohhh and i destroyed one of those little red ikea desks after playing sonic 06 for the first time

If anything games are an outlet for stress. Long day at work balanced with doing a few greater rifts and killing stuff lets me relax. I would say there is a long list of things responsible for violence way before video games, in particular the home environment. People just point to games because we're at a mid point in culture where they are popular, but far more so with under 40 crowd, making them scary to over 40 crowd. In 20 years When we're the old likely be blaming something new that comes along and scares us.

Maybe in some people who aren't mature or mentally stable enough, to tell the difference between reality and fantasy, it could cause violence. I just don't see it for the mass majority though.

videogames dont cause violence but a lot of violent people play videogames