By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge of Eternity (Japanese-style RPG) Yasunori Mitsuda on board edit: Kickstarter up - PS4/XB1/PS4

forest-spirit said:
I love Mitsuda but the game looks absolutely hideous. 

Art style, graphics, or both?

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
forest-spirit said:
I love Mitsuda but the game looks absolutely hideous. 

Art style, graphics, or both?

Both. I play a lot of retro games and don't mind bad graphics if the art style and level design is good, but everything I've seen of this game, from graphics and art to animations to the battle system looks uninspired and generic. So for someone that isn't that much into JRPG's these days it's really hard to get interested in this title. Heck, I'd rather give FFXIII another shot (which I will because I kinda just bought it on Steam, along with Hyper Neptunia).

forest-spirit said:

Both. I play a lot of retro games and don't mind bad graphics if the art style and level design is good, but everything I've seen of this game, from graphics and art to animations to the battle system looks uninspired and generic. So for someone that isn't that much into JRPG's these days it's really hard to get interested in this title. Heck, I'd rather give FFXIII another shot (which I will because I kinda just bought it on Steam, along with Hyper Neptunia).

I err... I'm a bit beffuddled by this sentiment.

The bolded is pretty much "I don't mind bad graphics, but I don't like the look of this game because the graphics are bad", which seems like somewhat of a contradiction.

I would agree with you that it looks generic.  In an era when every major JRPG series seems to be messing up their games through weird combat and design choices, it's almost refreshing to see a non-2D JRPG with an ATB system and such.

The animations and graphics were terrible in the first instance but they seem to me to have improved a great deal over the past year.  

Each to their own I guess :P

Kresnik said:
forest-spirit said:

I err... I'm a bit beffuddled by this sentiment.

The bolded is pretty much "I don't mind bad graphics, but I don't like the look of this game because the graphics are bad", which seems like somewhat of a contradiction.

I would agree with you that it looks generic.  In an era when every major JRPG series seems to be messing up their games through weird combat and design choices, it's almost refreshing to see a non-2D JRPG with an ATB system and such.

The animations and graphics were terrible in the first instance but they seem to me to have improved a great deal over the past year.  

Each to their own I guess :P

Perhaps I worded it wrong. I don't mind bad graphics if the art style and level design makes up for it. In this case the graphics are bad but so is everything else and therefore I don't like the overall presentation. I'm not dismissing the game because of graphics alone.

forest-spirit said:

Perhaps I worded it wrong. I don't mind bad graphics if the art style and level design makes up for it. In this case the graphics are bad but so is everything else and therefore I don't like the overall presentation. I'm not dismissing the game because of graphics alone.

Yeah, that makes more sense.  Fair enough!

Around the Network

The graphics look nice, but the battle system seems dull and slow. If it's going to go with a 3d battle system, the animations need to be interesting or atleast skippable. If not it's just pointless and boring.

The name is also pretty hideous.

How can there be an edge of ETERNITY?!?!?!?!?!?

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

It looks okay. If there is a Vita version I will consider it.

Looks like a ps2 game

Kickstarter is up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/midgarstudio/edge-of-eternity-pc-mac-linux-ps4-xbox-one#

PC/Mac/Linux with PS4/XB1 stretch goals.

Looks like the WiiU/Vita/iOS/Android versions were blitzed in the revamp.