By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Sells SOE (Sony Entertainment Online) to Columbus Nova! Going multiplatform (Xbox)

Absolute horrendous day for PlayStation because of this IMO. That's 4 announced/released console exclusives (Planetside 2, H1Z1, EverQuest Next and DC Universe Online) most likely going to XB1 also, and obviously slowing down Planetside 2, H1Z1 and EverQuest Next development for PS4.

Around the Network

Nice to see those MMOs being extended to more userbases. The impression I had with SOE is that they don't have the same relationship with Sony as Sony's 1st party studios such as Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Santa Monica. SOE is obviously not as close to SCE and thus, acts more on its own.

small44 said:

The article said that SOE is a leader in MMO why Sony accept to sell it?

It really isnt that big. That is PR talk. 

Wow sony/ps4 just lost at least 4 exclusives, that is a big deal. Even better news is that they are excited to make XB1 games.

Nem said:
small44 said:

It really isnt that big. That is PR talk. 

THey are a leader in MMO's though.  EverQuest was one of the most successful MMO's as far as I'm aware

It is odd to see Sony selling them though.  I thought they were doing well with Planetside 2, H1Z1, and the upcoming EverQuest Next which is suppose to be the largest sandbox MMO ever.

Never played the EveQuest myself but ive been patiently waiting for PlanetSide 2 to come to PS4 since i dont like using mouse/kb in multiplayer shooters

Around the Network

Kinda sucks:(

poklane said:

Absolute horrendous day for PlayStation because of this IMO. That's 4 announced/released console exclusives (Planetside 2, H1Z1, EverQuest Next and DC Universe Online) most likely going to XB1 also, and obviously slowing down Planetside 2, H1Z1 and EverQuest Next development for PS4.

These games are all F2P, though. This is far from being as bad as, for instance, losing console exclusivity of Street Fighter V. I mean, H1Z1 was given no mercy on Reddit. We don't even know how far into development EverQuest Next is in.

so Sony just lost the console exclusivity to Planetside 2... sad day for exclusives i guess.

You buy a comodity when it's cheap and sell it at it's peak/ Obviously the seller here feels like they have received an offer worthy of the peak value of SEO. The purchaser obviously feels like they can make a profit off of this, and the that the value will increase. I'm not sure why people with no expertise feel the need to not only express their opinion, but to forcefully state that Sony are stupid or that this is a "bad" move.

They might lose numerous 1st party exclusive games, which may now be available on competing machines. However, many employees will jump ship to work with Sony now. The very employees who created these IP's. Nothing is stopping sony from creating new IP's that prior to this sale would have directly competed with the sold IP's.

Further, the playstation brand is broadly relient on 3rd parties. It's not like Nintendo selling their IP's. I feel quite sure that they may have deals built into this deal.

Absolutely nothing could have prepared me for reading this. Sony's selling off gaming gaming divisions now. Wow. Would have absolutely never believed it.