By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Sells SOE (Sony Entertainment Online) to Columbus Nova! Going multiplatform (Xbox)

Shinobi-san said:
JayWood2010 said:
Nem said:

It really isnt that big. That is PR talk. 

THey are a leader in MMO's though.  EverQuest was one of the most successful MMO's as far as I'm aware

It is odd to see Sony selling them though.  I thought they were doing well with Planetside 2, H1Z1, and the upcoming EverQuest Next which is suppose to be the largest sandbox MMO ever.

Never played the EveQuest myself but ive been patiently waiting for PlanetSide 2 to come to PS4 since i dont like using mouse/kb in multiplayer shooters

I think that was waaaay back when they were on top.

They are not really leaders anymore, I think most people know that now. But with H1Z1 and the new everquest, plus planetside 2 has a decent fanbase....you would think they are making a comeback. Weird time to sell. Sony must really need the cash. It also doesnt fit in with their gaming strategy.

it makes perfect sense. Sony are not like MS where they have a massive money spinner in Windows that will offset any loss leaders or low profit divisions. So they must have decided that now was a good time to sell. It has a lot of potential but they obviously feel the price offered is more than they will make from SOE going forward. SOE after this sale will likely have been a very profitiable investment for Sony. 

Around the Network
episteme said:

loool, this almost feels like trolling.

LudicrousSpeed said:
true_fan said:

The irony is that for over a year we constantly heard about MSFT selling xbox, yet sony made the first move selling a segment of their gaming business.

That is pretty funny.

Anyway, this could be big if their next games like H1NZ or whatever and the next EQ are any good. And Planetside.

it would be funny if it was true. They were not the first to sell off or close down an irrelevant part of their overall gaming strategy. 

Shinobi-san said:
H1Z1 is actually becoming seriously popular...especially with millions of people waiting for a good Dayz game.

Is DayZ not a good DayZ type game? (honest question, i've never played it or H1Z1).

Shinobi-san said:
H1Z1 is actually becoming seriously popular...especially with millions of people waiting for a good Dayz game.

Oh, that's nice to hear. It was getting a lot of negatve reception from its Early Access.

Around the Network

Good news! I dont have to use my uncomfortable DS4 to play PlanetSide 2 on consoles.

Aura7541 said:
Shinobi-san said:

Oh, that's nice to hear. It was getting a lot of negatve reception from its Early Access.

Its quickly become one of the most watched Twitch games and seems to be staying there. This is pretty much how Heartstone became insanely popular overnight.

Negative reception on early access means shit when millions of people are watching other people have tons of fun with the game.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Kerotan said:

it would be funny if it was true. They were not the first to sell off or close down an irrelevant part of their overall gaming strategy. 

"irrelevant" LOL

I wonder how many posts it took on page one for that narrative to start.

Anyways, it's funny to me. Hope that helps.

They need mobile more than they need Xbox.

This include iOS, Android and maybe Windows phone. Sony has lost it foothold on PC and it can´t afford make software that would catter for its mobile competitors.

Selling SOE makes a lot of sense.

Zekkyou said:
Shinobi-san said:

Is DayZ not a good DayZ type game? (honest question, i've never played it or H1Z1).

Thats a good question. I dont know. It just seems like H1Z1 has become pretty popular on Twitch, and its support hasnt wanned yet which is weird. It must be doing something right.

Also development on  DayZ seems to be going really slow.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|