By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Hate Game Reviewers

And they hate me back, but anyway.

Here is why. Gamespot and IGN. They are two websites who occasionally try to envoke change and make statements with their reviews. It's like MSNBC being in the tank for Obama, or the New York Times trying to disgrace McCain.

First, let me say, there are entirely too many review sites on the web, there are only a couple worth listening too at all, and WE, as a gaming populous regaurd them as gospel, because we feel the need to quantify the quality of everything. For the record, I just wish all games would switch to free demos and reviews were not rated with a number score.

Anyway, my first example:

God of War for the PSP:

We have tons of awesome reviews from all websites who say the game is fantastic, and people can't get enough of it.

Then, out of the blue, Gamespot drops their score, and it's an 8.5, and the review pretty much marginalizes the game by calling it derivitive, and "God of War: Lite."

So, who are we to believe? Well, I'll tell you what, anyone who isn't getting the game, or any Sony haters are gonna jump right on board and say "I agree with gamespot," and pretend like they actually played the game. It's terrible.

My second example:

God Hand for the PS2

We get good scores all around for the game, and then out of the blue, IGN drops like a 3(can't be sure) out of 10 for the game. I wonder how many people skipped that, imo, great game because of that review.

Now, we got No More Heroes, which every site rated well, except IGN.

The pattern we're coming up with here, is the two most popular sites, give the most controversial scores, and god only knows why. Reviews are some guys opinion, and we take them too seriously, and its gotten ugly and monotonous.

The best review system, imo, is to have 4 short reviews and an average score, just like Famitsu. That system leaves lots of room for interruperetation. Even Yhatzee's reviews are better, because he doesn't feel the need to quantify a game with a meanlingless numerical value. He simply tells the games strengths and faults, and lets the players decide.

Numerical values mean nothing. They are only there for haters, imo, and that's why I hate game reviewers, especially Gamespot and IGN, even thought I actually do like most of their reviewers as people, I hate the ideals they stand for, and the inequities within the review systems they have established.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

i can see why you hate ign. i hate ign to i find they either overrate games or underrated them.

anyways when im buying a game i look at multiple websites to see reviews on that game and i never look at gamespot or ign. gamespot gave uncharted 8/10!?!?

I could be a game reviewer, just give a game a score.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

supermario128 said:
I could be a game reviewer, just give a game a score.

lol, yeah, like rolling dice.

Tell about the game you played, then roll the dice. People will then percieve your review as positive or negative depending on the dice roll.

That's about right, imo. 

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Indeed. I stopped trusting reviewers long time ago. Life was a lot simpler when one didn't worry about how other people rate a game, and how much a console sold each week :)

Streets of rage 3 was and still is my favorite of the 3 but all the reviewers say I'm wrong and that its the worst one. Should I kill myself? According to IGN...yes I should.

Around the Network

Sometime the best thing to do is just try out the game for yourself. If you like the game and have fun with it, what does it matter if it got bad reviews.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Yeah, I've noticed this a couple of times too. Too bad, can't be helped. Still a shame though. But reviews are only one person's opinion anyway.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

I agree, I dislike the score method used. It's often misleading where a game can be terrific fun but have some minor technical issues. I do like Gamespy's quickie summary of good points/bad points for games where I don't care for all the details though.

However, how is this any different than movie reviews??

the worst review IGN has given a game that really bugged me was probably this one:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/519/519971p1.html

Of course Front mission 4 isn't the best game out there, but harping about how the opening CGI intro doesn't look like the game is stupid as hell...

and look at the guys graphics review score:

"If only this game were in a higher resolution, had better animation, were more interactive, featured cooler fights, and had nicer maps, than it would be awesome. If only."

way to be professional.

I've already seen some PSP haters use "God of War lite" on this site, since the Gamespot review came out yesterday.

They use bad reviews from gamespot or IGN to flame a system they don't like, and quote from them like gospel.

That's more of a personal problem than a review problem though.

NO NO, NO NO NO.