By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How many of you who mainly game on a Pc can run all games on Ultra @ 1080P/60fps?

vivster said:
arcaneguyver said:
Good topic; have been looking into piecing a rig together this year, and I figure if you're getting a gaming PC, don't half ass it. Looks like 1.5-2k is roughly what you need.

If it's about money you can get a really good rig for 1k. Everything above includes premium hardware like high quality mainboards, cases and PSUs. Diminishing returns start very early when building a PC. For example people going with $400+ CPUs when it's only 5% more powerful than the $200 one.

Well, I need to finish paying my car off (this summer!!!!) before I can 'safely' drop $300+/- a month on parts for six months. So far looking at...

- Intel i7-470K 4.0GHz processor
- Asus Maximus VI Hero motherboard
- 2x G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series  16GB (2x8GB)
- Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
- Barracuda 2TB HD
- GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX video card

...but now that I'm looking at it, it'll probably qualify as just a mid-range PC. I imagine I should go for a better video card & CPU.

Around the Network
arcaneguyver said:
vivster said:
arcaneguyver said:
Good topic; have been looking into piecing a rig together this year, and I figure if you're getting a gaming PC, don't half ass it. Looks like 1.5-2k is roughly what you need.

If it's about money you can get a really good rig for 1k. Everything above includes premium hardware like high quality mainboards, cases and PSUs. Diminishing returns start very early when building a PC. For example people going with $400+ CPUs when it's only 5% more powerful than the $200 one.

Well, I need to finish paying my car off (this summer!!!!) before I can 'safely' drop $300+/- a month on parts for six months. So far looking at...

- Barracuda 2TB HD

...but now that I'm looking at it, it'll probably qualify as just a mid-range PC. I imagine I should go for a better video card & CPU.

It's not midrange, though it's not high end either. It's the performance segment. Highend would be either 980 SLI or whatever becomes of big maxwell.

If you have the money upgrade to a 980 or depending when it's released maybe a 390X. Also depending on your PC gaming habits I would strongly recommend getting a bigger SSD. You should have your games running on the SSD and since it is usually also housing your OS you will run out of space very quickly. I currently use a 256GB SSD of which 128GB are reserved for games and I have to uninstall constantly.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

arcaneguyver said:
vivster said:
arcaneguyver said:

- Barracuda 2TB HD

...but now that I'm looking at it, it'll probably qualify as just a mid-range PC. I imagine I should go for a better video card & CPU.L

Your CPU is not going to bottleneck gaming platforms for years. I mean, if you want some more performance from it just overclock it (I assume that is why you would buy a k series i7.) The only game that seems to even benefit from 8 threads is Dragon Age Inquisition and that is because it is so disgustingly unoptimized that it maxes four-threaded/core CPU's for no reason. Not only that, but your cores are clocked at 4.0ghz (4.4 ghz with turbo boost) and even more if you overclock it. That is fantastic IPC performance. I personally would only get an i7 if I'm doing a lot of video-processing (or similar CPU intensive activities.) Otherwise, i5's are plenty fine for gaming, and it probably won't be until the end of this generation that games will benefit greatly from more than four threads.  You'd save a lot of money ($100) by just getting an i5-4690k and likely won't see any performance difference (5 fps at most in games that benefit from hyperthreading.) 

The same holds true for the GPU. 

There is no way this computer would be construed as mid-ranged. Mid-ranged would be an i3/AMD CPU + GTX 750 Ti (or r9 270.) This computer will be a high-ranged PC for at least three-four years I'm thinking. 

arcaneguyver said:

Honestly, you can build a pretty monster rig for 1K assuming you aren't counting things like the monitor.

vivster said:
arcaneguyver said:

Ahhh, you beat me to the punch.  Deminishing returns is a great term in the case of a PC build.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

Your CPU is not going to bottleneck gaming platforms for years. I mean, if you want some more performance from it just overclock it (I assume that is why you would buy a k series i7.) The only game that seems to even benefit from 8 threads is Dragon Age Inquisition and that is because it is so disgustingly unoptimized that it maxes four-threaded/core CPU's for no reason. Not only that, but your cores are clocked at 4.0ghz (4.4 ghz with turbo boost) and even more if you overclock it. That is fantastic IPC performance. I personally would only get an i7 if I'm doing a lot of video-processing (or similar CPU intensive activities.) Otherwise, i5's are plenty fine for gaming, and it probably won't be until the end of this generation that games will benefit greatly from more than four threads.  You'd save a lot of money ($100) by just getting an i5-4690k and likely won't see any performance difference (5 fps at most in games that benefit from hyperthreading.)

The same holds true for the GPU.

There is no way this computer would be construed as mid-ranged. Mid-ranged would be an i3/AMD CPU + GTX 750 Ti (or r9 270.) This computer will be a high-ranged PC for at least three-four years I'm thinking.

While it is all true what you said, a 970 will already be mid-range in maximum 2 years. By then it should be in the range of a x50ti. Don't forget we have a big shrink incoming. And games will not get more PC friendly over the next years.

In 4 years 4k will be prevalent and a 970 on 4k with a modern game engine would probably break^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
thetonestarr said:

Ultra at 1080p/60fps is WAY outperforming console games, so I'm not sure how this thread could even remotely serve the purpose of proving anything.

However, for motherboard + processor + RAM + videocard, I spent about $800. And I can do ultra at 60fps at 4k res.

I think this is about games and not how many frames you can do on your windows background.

lol

Conina said:
Lawlight said:

A tablet is ok for very, very light-weight web browsing. Can't even browse vgchartz on one. - Sure you can browse this site with a tablet, I do it all the time.

You can't type long posts on post in an adequate amount of time on one. - The on-screen keyboard is good enough for "normal" forum posts. And if you want to write whole pages of text, you can connect a bluetooth keyboard.

There's no DVD/Blu-Ray drive. You cannot save files to it. - Sure you can save files to it. Internal memory, MicroSD-cards, USB-Sticks, WiFi-HDDs,... If you have internet access, DropBox or other Cloud services are another option.

Browsing this site on a tablet is an abomination. It is not mobile friendly at all. For info, I have an iPad Air 2. You also cannot see the VGChartz Buddy on the side and you cannot go straight to a reply to your post or the last posts.

Nopes, the on-screen keyboard isn't good enough for more than a couple of short sentences. Anymore than that and it's a hasssle.

A tablet also doesn't support all file formats and you cannot actually save, for example, all mail attachments to the tablet. Overall, unless you're not an adult and only use the web for lightweight browsing, you need a laptop over a tablet. Heck, I can't even listen to youtube while browsing the net on the iPad.

vivster said:

It's not midrange, though it's not high end either. It's the performance segment. Highend would be either 980 SLI or whatever becomes of big maxwell.

If you have the money upgrade to a 980 or depending when it's released maybe a 390X. Also depending on your PC gaming habits I would strongly recommend getting a bigger SSD. You should have your games running on the SSD and since it is usually also housing your OS you will run out of space very quickly. I currently use a 256GB SSD of which 128GB are reserved for games and I have to uninstall constantly.

I can see going for a better video card, but the bigger SSD is a hard pill to swallow. 1TB costs $400 at best, taking the build over $2k.  Well, I've got half a year before I start actually shopping this out for real, so things might change a bit by then.

arcaneguyver said:
vivster said:

I can see going for a better video card, but the bigger SSD is a hard pill to swallow. 1TB costs $400 at best, taking the build over $2k.  Well, I've got half a year before I start actually shopping this out for real, so things might change a bit by then.

Lol, You don't have to go full 1TB. 256GB is good if you minimize the capacity for the OS, 512GB is perfect. It's just that you really don't want your games to run from an HDD anymore. If I had to make a choice between between either and upgrade from 970 to 980 and 128GB SSD and 512GB I would most certainly pick the latter. A GPU can always be upgraded, adding space to existing storage is never as easy. If money is a concern I would keep away from the top performance cards anyway. As already mentioned a 970 is plenty powerful already.
If AMD hurries up a bit we might even already have a 390 in 6 months, which should cost around the same as a 970 but is more powerful.