By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FACTS vs. FICTION – Volume 1

Seece said:
johnlucas said:

How old were you when the PlayStation 1 came out?
Answer that right quick for me.

PS1 release = December 3, 1994 Japan; September 9, 1995 America; September 29, 1995 Europe.

John Lucas

What has my age got to do with anything. Stop acting like the years automatically give you wisdom, because it's certainly not true in this case. (Where I have been spot on with 3DS and WiiU sales most of the time and you have been way off the mark).

It's very relevant.
You said PS1 had no competition & that's an answer from a person who didn't live at that time or was too young to remember that time very well.

You don't have to be exact for privacy's sake.
You can just give me a range.
I will show you what REALLY happened at that time once you answer.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network
johnlucas said:
Seece said:
johnlucas said:

How old were you when the PlayStation 1 came out?
Answer that right quick for me.

PS1 release = December 3, 1994 Japan; September 9, 1995 America; September 29, 1995 Europe.

John Lucas

What has my age got to do with anything. Stop acting like the years automatically give you wisdom, because it's certainly not true in this case. (Where I have been spot on with 3DS and WiiU sales most of the time and you have been way off the mark).

It's very relevant.
You said PS1 had no competition & that's an answer from a person who didn't live at that time or was too young to remember that time very well.

John Lucas

You only have to make a short click to my frigging profile to see my age, stop with this nonsense. I didn't have to be alive (I was) or aware to know what was out during that generation, I've done enough research. Just because N64 and Saturn existed didn't mean they were competition. Sure they didn't do as badly as XB or Gamecube but it was still utter domination from Playstation. Those systems posed no competition just like XB and Gamecube didn't to PS2.

Xbox 360 however did. Fact lies in that they all sold incredibly well.

360 will likely be third when all is said and down, and it's sales will just barely be a few million away from the PS1 which was that generations leader.It's amazing that 3rd place last gen matched 1st place in 5th gen.

Not that this side topic has anything to do with the main purpose of your thread. You do realise people aren't stupid right? They see right through the fact you detract from the main points.

Of HOW WiiU is going to overtake PS4 and when. You physically can't answer those questions.

I am unsure why you bring up the Neo Geo. The Neo Geo AES was not a mass market console, it was an arcade machine at home, and pretty much completely different than any other home console. SNK was porting their games to the Genesis/SNES/Saturn and Playstation while producing the NeoGeo anyways.

Most of this is fanboy hogwash.

1. Being second choice doesn't mean everyone will get one. Look at the sales: Wii U has already been passed by both other 8th gen consoles, despite the year headstart.

2. While I don't care for the de-bundling, it has greatly increased overall sales. I agree that the Wii U should stay bundled with the Wii U gamepad.

3. I don't... What? They have classic controllers. Where is this argument coming from?

4. The Japanese market is actually very niche now. Most developers are "western" or mainland Asian, and Japan makes up a very small portion of overall console sales.

5. What wins is pricing and game library, not power. Power is usually tied directly to price, which is the deciding factor on sales. Sales decide titles and library, which fuels more sales. Now that the most powerful console is the same price as the only relevant competitor? And is STOMPING said competitor? I think it's safe the say the strongest will win this generation.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

Just thought I'd mention that global sales for PS3 and XB360 are dead even (in fact, if I heard correctly, PS3 is in top now). 

Pretty sure the numbers are far and away NOT in favor of Wii U outselling PS4. 

Like, ever. 

Seece said:
johnlucas said:
Seece said:

It's very relevant.

John Lucas

You only have to make a short click to my frigging profile to see my age, stop with this nonsense. I didn't have to be alive (I was) or aware to know what was out during that generation, I've done enough research. Just because N64 and Saturn existed didn't mean they were competition. Sure they didn't do as badly as XB or Gamecube but it was still utter domination from Playstation. Those systems posed no competition just like XB and Gamecube didn't to PS2.

360 will likely be third when all is said and down, and it's sales will just barely be a few million away from the PS1 which was that generations leader.It's amazing that 3rd place last gen matched 1st place in 5th gen.

Alright it says 26.
That means you were either born in 1989 or 1990.
So you were either 5 or 6 years old when PS1 launched in America & Europe in 1995.

Here's a video for you to watch showing the marketshare of PS1's "no competition".
A Spanish-speaking person put up this video that's done in Japanese but I think you can get the picture.
They did it with colorful pie charts & nice audio.
It seems to be the Worldwide marketshare of the consoles year by year from 1990 to 2007.

Historia Gráfica consolas

The graphs don't break it down by platform until year 1996 but we can still draw info from the 1994 & 1995 years.

PlayStation entered Japan in 1994 & you see SCE represented with 2.5% of the market.
Nintendo is represented with 61.6% but that's all mixed up with Game Boy, SNES, & possibly NES still.
Sega is represented with 33.4% but that's all mixed up with Genesis/Mega Drive & Game Gear along with Saturn.

SCE has 19.9% in 1995 which is obviously just PlayStation alone.
Nintendo has 60.5% in that mix of Game Boy, Virtual Boy, SNES, & maybe even NES still.
Sega has 18.9% which I suspect has a good mix of mostly Saturn with smaller portions of Genesis/Mega Drive, Game Gear, & Nomad (possibly).

Now it clears up by platform.

Sony PlayStation has 26.8% of the market.
Nintendo 64 has 23.6% of the market.
Sega Saturn has 16.9% of the market.

Sony PlayStation has 44.3% of the market.
Nintendo 64 has 22.9% of the market.
Sega Saturn has 3.2% of the market.

As you can clearly see PS1 didn't take over until 1997, over 2 years after its launch.
The 1996 year shows competitive portions of marketshare between the 5th generation platforms.
PlayStation didn't come out of the gate absolutely dominant.
They didn't gain dominance until 1997 which means they had COMPETITION.

That's why I asked you how old you were.
I was there. I remember how it was.
PlayStation was a force but it wasn't THE force until 1997.

It had competition & it eventually blew past them.

Maybe your view is skewed being in the U.K.
Maybe in your neighborhood Sony was the behemoth right out of the gate.
That wasn't so in America. And that wasn't so in Japan either.

So when I compare the 360 to a 20 year old console, I'm showing how WEAK its performance is.
You can argue that 360 had no competition from Sony that gen.
They couldn't beat Nintendo obviously but they could beat Sony & its PS3.
After all of Sony's 7th gen mistakes, 360 ends up selling the same amount as the PS3 & NEITHER can even top a 20 year old 5th gen console.

PS1 had competition & they outdid them.
Why couldn't 360 do it?
They didn't have to sell PS2 numbers but they could at least sell PS1 numbers.

What you offered is an excuse.
zorg1000's point about power matched with good price, great mix of 1st & 3rd party titles, & nice features didn't help the XBox 360 do that well.
It wasn't THE MOST powerful but it was very close & it STILL couldn't outsell a 20 year old console even in a decade's time.

All of that underlines my power does not sell consoles FACT.

Especially when I know that 360's sales doubled in 2010 AFTER they started patterning themselves after the weak Wii.
The redesigned overhauled XBox 360 S with Kinect is when 360 REALLY started to sell.
Just like the redesigned overhauled PS3 Slim with Wiimote-like Move is when PS3 REALLY started to sell.

They mimicked the weakest console just to boost themselves UP TO 84 million in a decade's time—20 million less than a 20-year old 5th gen PlayStation 1.
And only 20 million more than a 30-year old 3rd gen NES!

That's why the thread's called FACTS vs. FICTION.
I just showed you the FACTS.

John Lucas

johnlucas said:
Seece said:

Alright it says 26.
That means you were either born in 1989 or 1990.
So you were either 5 or 6 years old when PS1 launched in America & Europe in 1995.

Here's a video for you to watch showing the marketshare of PS1's "no competition".
A Spanish-speaking person put up this video that's done in Japanese but I think you can get the picture.
They did it with colorful pie charts & nice audio.
It seems to be the Worldwide marketshare of the consoles year by year from 1990 to 2007.

Historia Gráfica consolas

The graphs don't break it down by platform until year 1996 but we can still draw info from the 1994 & 1995 years.

PlayStation entered Japan in 1994 & you see SCE represented with 2.5% of the market.
Nintendo is represented with 61.6% but that's all mixed up with Game Boy, SNES, & possibly NES still.
Sega is represented with 33.4% but that's all mixed up with Genesis/Mega Drive & Game Gear along with Saturn.

SCE has 19.9% in 1995 which is obviously just PlayStation alone.
Nintendo has 60.5% in that mix of Game Boy, Virtual Boy, SNES, & maybe even NES still.
Sega has 18.9% which I suspect has a good mix of mostly Saturn with smaller portions of Genesis/Mega Drive, Game Gear, & Nomad (possibly).

Now it clears up by platform.

Sony PlayStation has 26.8% of the market.
Nintendo 64 has 23.6% of the market.
Sega Saturn has 16.9% of the market.

Sony PlayStation has 44.3% of the market.
Nintendo 64 has 22.9% of the market.
Sega Saturn has 3.2% of the market.

As you can clearly see PS1 didn't take over until 1997, over 2 years after its launch.
The 1996 year shows competitive portions of marketshare between the 5th generation platforms.
PlayStation didn't come out of the gate absolutely dominant.
They didn't gain dominance until 1997 which means they had COMPETITION.

That's why I asked you how old you were.
I was there. I remember how it was.
PlayStation was a force but it wasn't THE force until 1997.

It had competition & it eventually blew past them.

Maybe your view is skewed being in the U.K.
Maybe in your neighborhood Sony was the behemoth right out of the gate.
That wasn't so in America. And that wasn't so in Japan either.

So when I compare the 360 to a 20 year old console, I'm showing how WEAK its performance is.
You can argue that 360 had no competition from Sony that gen.
They couldn't beat Nintendo obviously but they could beat Sony & its PS3.
After all of Sony's 7th gen mistakes, 360 ends up selling the same amount as the PS3 & NEITHER can even top a 20 year old 5th gen console.

PS1 had competition & they outdid them.
Why couldn't 360 do it?
They didn't have to sell PS2 numbers but they could at least sell PS1 numbers.

What you offered is an excuse.
zorg1000's point about power matched with good price, great mix of 1st & 3rd party titles, & nice features didn't help the XBox 360 do that well.
It wasn't THE MOST powerful but it was very close & it STILL couldn't outsell a 20 year old console even in a decade's time.

All of that underlines my power does not sell consoles FACT.

Especially when I know that 360's sales doubled in 2010 AFTER they started patterning themselves after the weak Wii.
The redesigned overhauled XBox 360 S with Kinect is when 360 REALLY started to sell.
Just like the redesigned overhauled PS3 with Wiimote-like Move REALLY started to sell.

They mimicked the weakest console just to boost themselves UP TO 84 million in a decade's time—20 million less than a 20-year old 5th gen PlayStation 1.
And only 20 million more than a 30-year old 3rd gen NES!

That's why the thread's called FACTS vs. FICTION.
I just showed you the FACTS.

John Lucas

Skimmed your post, your maths leaves much to be desired, born in 88 (greatest year ever).

None of what you say has any logic in it, how powerful the 360 is or what it sells today (or the last 7 years) has absolutely nothing to do with how Playstation or N64 sold.

And with that I'm done. Until you start answering the questions people actually want answering, and not falling into your "debates" there is no point to your threads.

One last shot tho, go on, ignore this question and really show us you have no idea what the future holds.

How, and when, will WiiU beat PS4. Don't write me a novel, aboslutely no need. Just a couple of sentances. (That don't involve irrelevent guff about "power").

Seece said:

Skimmed your post, your maths leaves much to be desired, born in 88 (greatest year ever).

None of what you say has any logic in it, how powerful the 360 is or what it sells today (or the last 7 years) has absolutely nothing to do with how Playstation or N64 sold.

And with that I'm done. Until you start answering the questions people actually want answering, and not falling into your "debates" there is no point to your threads.

One last shot tho, go on, ignore this question and really show us you have no idea what the future holds.

How, and when, will WiiU beat PS4. Don't write me a novel, aboslutely no need. Just a couple of sentances. (That don't involve irrelevent guff about "power").

Skimmed because you can't debate it.
FACTS are hard to get around.

And I told you on my wall what you have to do to get that conversation going.
You get my UNITY thread reopened & we can discuss that situation.

This is not the UNITY thread Seece.
Keep it on topic.

If it's not related to the 5 subjects I discussed in the opening thread...

1: Reality of the Second System
2: Microsoft unbundling Kinect
3: Truth of the "Traditional Controller"
4: Japanese Market is Capital of Videogame Industry
5: Most Powerful Console Never Wins

...then you're derailing the thread & disrupting the conversation.

You wanna discuss my predictions & general analysis on 8th gen race?
You know what you have to do.

Reopen my UNITY thread.
John Lucas