Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sales Spread by region

Is having uneven sales by region bad?

Yes 13 30.95%

No 12 28.57%

Depends of region 9 21.43%

Maybe 4 9.52%

See results 4 9.52%

Total:42

As I am sure everyone has noticed the sales of the Xbox One are very America centric.

Despite being 7.2 million consoles sold behind the PS4 worldwide it is only 640k consoles behind the PS4 in America.

The gap having shrunk recently as a likely result of a price drop and major software releases.

The question is, does having the majority of a consoles sales in a single region result is an advantage or weakness?

One upside could be that it can be seen to remain competitive and viable given the size of the region.

A possible downside could be gaining any momentum in markets like Europe where it's getting outsold considerably outside the UK and Japan, where it's almost non-existent.

What do you think?

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network

It's a weakness. It will start to effect software support and it will make it increasingly expensive for MS to garner 3rd party exclusives. On the flip side it will make 3rd Party exclusives cheaper for Sony. In the case of Japan, the XB1 is doing so poorly that a lot of multi-platform titles aren't even releasing on XB1 in Japan.

If you're not completely destroying your competition in the only region where you're selling well it's certainly no advantage.

Also I swear I read the title as "Sales spread by Religion" which would've been a much more entertaining thread.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

kowenicki said:
Lifetime Xbox 360: US 57%

Current Xbox One: US 60%

Those numbers aren't really representative of the big picture.The 360 lead the PS3 for most of last gen and still ended essentially tied with the PS3. The XB1 is having to pull out all the stops to be competitive in markets the 360 dominated. 

vivster said:
If you're not completely destroying your competition in the only region where you're selling well it's certainly no advantage.

Also I swear I read the title as "Sales spread by Religion" which would've been a much more entertaining thread.

And a much more locked thread.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network
SlayerRondo said:
vivster said:

And a much more locked thread.

Why? If there was such a study it would be interesting to see. Why would it get locked?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

hehehehehe I like the way your mind works.

to OT. nope its definitely a weakness. 

Obviously, the goal of a global product is to sell as good as it can in all regions it exists. This is why some folks said that Microsoft should even 'waste' resources by releasing in Japan. In truth though, Microsoft and Sony simply want to make money. Therefore, if Microsoft can make bank in the US (regardless of if it tops the PS4) that is where they are going to put the most effort. For Sony, because they have a much larger base world wide, the importance of the US is much less than it is for the Microsoft. And this can't be helped.

Its not a bad thing, its just reality.

Ok we all need to stop talking about how xbox is so america centric. America is the consumer capital of the world. Software sells crazy amounts here. So selling most of your consoles here where the most software sells is a very good thing. Plus i dont want to say its easy to do well during the holidays but they seem to have a good handle on the american market. So lets stop talking about how xbox is us only its a very important market (last gen says hello).

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Having an uneven sales by region isn't bad, especially if the region you are about to dominate is the biggest market in the world. MS will prove this with the Xbox One.

It won't matter if they are down by millions world wide because world wide means nothing when its Globally in the US!