By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A Look At Sony's 1st and 2nd Party Studios PS3/PS4

So this thread is basically an updated version of a thread I made a few years ago.

I'll be taking a look at the combined sales of each of Sony's first party studios (but also at some of the 2nd party studios). To essentially evaluate the importance and productivity of each of these studios and hopefully create some interesting discussion!

PS3

Studio Party  Sales (in millions)
Naughty Dog 1st 23.09
Polyphony Digital 1st 17.62
Insomniac Games 2nd 15.49
Sony Santa Monica 1st 13.73
Media Molecule 1st 9.64
Sony San Diego 1st 8.41
Sony London Studio 1st 7.34
Kojima Productions 3rd 5.95
Guerilla Games 1st 5.65
Evolution Studios 1st 5.61
Sucker Punch 1st 4.56
Quantic Dream 2nd 4.41
Sony Japan Studio 1st 3.11
Relentless Soft. 2nd 2.24
Zipper Interactive 1st 2.15
Ninja Theory 2nd 1.62
Factor 5 2nd 0.51

*2nd Party is marked as such for the sake of making this easier.

**Sales for some studios include games they co-developed with other 3rd Party Studios.

Interesting points- As you can see Insomniac developed a lot of strong selling software for the PS3, ranking 3rd in total. Japan Studio had terrible output for the duration of the PS3 generation- Team ICO is not even listed. Some poor deals were brokered by Sony with 3rd parties at the start of the PS3 generation, most notably funding Lair from Factor 5, which proved to be a complete disaster. Zipper Interactives games sold less than Relentless Software (which produces the BUZZ! game series) which unsurprisingly lead to their closure. Naughty Dog became the new sales king of SCE WWS.

Also interesting to note how productive London Studio was. Much of what they produced would be considered casual software, but it sold rather well. GG is also relatively small in terms of it's sales footprint, ranking 10th overall from last gen.

PS4

Studio Party Sales (in millions)
Naughty Dog 1st 2.31
Guerilla Games 1st 2.05
Sucker Punch 1st 2.01
Evolution Studios 1st 0.86

Although it's very early into the PS4 lifespan, Naughty Dog have once again taken the top spot for exclusive software sold with their remaster of TLOU. Sony haven't taken the same approach this time around, and there is a notable abscence of exclusive software from 3rd parties like Ninja Theory and Factor 5 at this stage last generation. Partnering with From Software and Capcom instead, may be a much more lucrative and successfull approach for Sony. Judging from this chart, it seems likely both GG and SP will increase the sales from their studios over last generation, while Evolution Studios, depending on their future releases, may not exceed it.

So far, no releases from Insomniac Games, the third largest in terms of sales from the previous generation.

Plenty of the big hitters obviously still have to arrive ~Gran Turismo, Uncharted, GOW etc.

I will update this thread periodically as new games release and if there is any interest.

Around the Network

Sad to see low numbers for Japan Studio, but then again they did very little on the PS3 when compared to the PS2, but to be honest big numbers or not they Co-developed Demons Souls and the quality of that game is more important to me than any sales numbers.

I would be interested in a per game average . or a column with the number of games .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

WOW never new insomniac sold so much on the PS3. They were mad to go X1 exclusive. Next game is PS4 exclusive so that will get the ball rolling. I'd like to see them make a quality mulitplatform game after Ratchet comes out but I get the feeling the quality of the game would really drop if they had to cater to more than one platform.

Kerotan said:
WOW never new insomniac sold so much on the PS3. They were mad to go X1 exclusive. Next game is PS4 exclusive so that will get the ball rolling. I'd like to see them make a quality mulitplatform game after Ratchet comes out but I get the feeling the quality of the game would really drop if they had to cater to more than one platform.

Fuse...lol

Around the Network
estebxx said:
Sad to see low numbers for Japan Studio, but then again they did very little on the PS3 when compared to the PS2, but to be honest big numbers or not they Co-developed Demons Souls and the quality of that game is more important to me than any sales numbers.

I tthought they poduced  low numbers as well to I had a look .

Piyotomo - Locoroco Cocoreccho - The eye of judgement - Echochrome -The Last Guy -Trash panic -Numblast -kung fu rider -Ape Esacape fury fury

Echochrome 2 -Puppeteer - Knack .

Then theres the ones denoted as developed with  like . Mainichi issho -boku no Natsuyasumi 3 -Siren Blood curse - White Knight Chronicles -Demon Souls

White Knight Chronicles 2  - Beat Sketcher -Bleach : Soul Ressurection -Tokyo Jungle -Rain

Then you have all those PSP /Vita games from the same time frame  , like Patopon -Soul Sacrifice - Soul Sacrifice Delta -  Gravity Rush - Destiny of Spirits and Freedom Wars.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I love SCEJS but they were TERRIBLE on the PS3 Generation...

No sign of a new awesome JRPG/making the so much wanted LoD
No mainline Ape Escape (the move game is a big SHIT!)
Didn't finish The Last Guardian!
Took SIX YEARS after Siren 2 to release only a reimagine of the first Siren, ok, the only thing they did (which is AWESOME was Gravity Rush, but bitch please 6 years for a portable game and a reimagine?????)
Puppeteer was awesome
The Eye of Judgment was a good try... too bad it didn't rock! :/
At least they made some classic PSP/Vita games!

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

Santa Monica Studio should be 14.07m according to Vgchartz, look up all the PS3 games they worked on here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Santa_Monica_Studio

Also this "Naughty Dog became the new sales king of SCE WWS" isn't definitely true at all. Taking into considering that GoW3 + Ascension combined are undertracked by around 1.5m and that GoW2 came out after the PS3s release I think it should be included which would bring the total to near 20m. Then most of SSM's work has been collaborations on PSN games so we don't really know how much they sold. I'm pretty sure it's enough to push them to first place by a good margin though.

Also unlike ND for example, they had a significant presence on the PSP with their co-developed GoW games selling many millions of games on it in addition to the many other collaborations. So I'd say SSM is easily the sales king of SCE WWS.

Sorry but this thread tells us nothing really since it's not showing the full picture, hope you're not really expecting much interesting discussion. Peace out.

JustThatGamer said:
Santa Monica Studio should be 14.07m according to Vgchartz, look up all the PS3 games they worked on here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Santa_Monica_Studio

Also this "Naughty Dog became the new sales king of SCE WWS" isn't definitely true at all. Taking into considering that GoW3 + Ascension combined are undertracked by around 1.5m and that GoW2 came out after the PS3s release I think it should be included which would bring the total to near 20m. Then most of SSM's work has been collaborations on PSN games so we don't really know how much they sold. I'm pretty sure it's enough to push them to first place by a good margin though.

Also unlike ND for example, they had a significant presence on the PSP with their co-developed GoW games selling many millions of games on it in addition to the many other collaborations. So I'd say SSM is easily the sales king of SCE WWS.

Sorry but this thread tells us nothing really since it's not showing the full picture, hope you're not really expecting much interesting discussion. Peace out.

I can adjust it to 14.07, I must have missed a game. 

That's still an 9 million sales gap between ND and SSM. No amount of unaccounted games make up that gap difference. Also TLOU is apparently undertracked by 1m or so aswell, so ND may be closer to ~25m.  So yeah, if we go by the numbers on this site, ND sold the most games for Sony last gen, by a large margin. I don't think it's really disputable.

Zippers zipper's broke lol. Unless theyve resurected as a new studio.